Stop Clowning Around in Our Town

Photo taken by Melany Maes on October 6, 2016 at Palos Verdes High School.

Melany Maes, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, October 04, 2016 around 8pm, Carolyn Ricks, a Taper Avenue Elementary school employee, spotted two people dressed as clowns. As Ricks walked out of the bathroom at Taper elementary school, she saw two people dressed as clowns.

“They didn’t say nothing. All you can see were the eyes, and they were just standing there like zombies, side by side not saying nothing, no emotions, just standing there,” stated school employee Carolyn Ricks as reported on ABC 7 News. These specific clowns were not armed, but there have been reports of clowns armed with various weapons.

The incident that happened at Taper quickly spread to Dana as many students were in fear that the clowns would come to Dana Middle School.

Dana Middle School principal, Mr.Gebhart said, “I never seen a person dressed up as a  clown,” but the closest he has come to a clown was a truck with a clown sticker on the back of it. Mr.Gebhart added, “kids were crowding around the van thinking that the clowns were here.”

What some of the clowns look like

Mr. Gebhart has also witnessed a kid with a clown mask on, running up and down the street, the kid would lift up the mask once in awhile and then laugh.

Some parents are not worried about this clown scare,“This is just a hoax and no kids should be afraid,” said Dana Middle school parent, Aaron Maes.

While some students are still afraid that these clowns will come to campus, others are more hesitant to jump to conclusions, 7th grade student Corrina Paiz said, “It isn’t really that scary but I don’t want to take any chances.”

“People are saying that there are going to many clowns on Halloween and that scares me because it isn’t safe, especially because the clowns have masks on,” said 8th graders Destiny Mitchell.