Staff Spotlight: Get to Know Mrs. Hannon

Mrs.+Hannon+with+her+family.+

Mrs. Hannon with her family.

Mrs. Hannon with her family.

Mrs. Hannon with her family.

Mrs. Hannon with her family.

Kaley Sutrin, Sports Editor

Mrs. Hannon is a PE teacher at Dana Middle School. She graduated from Long Beach State and has been working at Dana for 24 years. Mrs. Hannon is married and has two kids.

Out of the many years Mrs. Hannon has worked here, she says that her favorite thing about Dana is the PE department because “We all work together and we have a really strong department.” However, she doesn’t like how there are the few students that misbehave and waste a lot of the teacher’s and staff’s time.

Mrs. Hannon wants all students to know that she is a very approachable teacher and if they need anything they can go to her for help.

Ever since Mrs. Hannon was in middle school, she had always wanted to be either an English or PE teacher for junior high. Mrs. Hannon says,”When I found out I could major in PE and be outside and wear shorts all year, it was a no brainer.”

Mrs. Hannon says that she plans on working at Dana until she retires and does not want to be anywhere else.  She says that if she wasn’t a PE teacher she would want to be in nursing or some kind of healthcare.

Many people in the community see Dana as being “ghetto.” Mrs. Hannon says that it’s not true and people shouldn’t assume that it is until they’ve actually been here and seen the school “in action.” She believes that it is a misconception in the community. She says that “Dana is very unique, in that it brings every socio-economic group together.”  She thinks we as a school can help get rid of that reputation if we continue to stay involved in the community.

Everybody has those certain things that they can’t stand, or their pet peeves. Mrs. Hannon says that her biggest pet peeves are slackers (people who don’t do their work) and cheaters.

In Mrs. Hannon’s free time, she says that she enjoys spending time with her family, and going to amusement parks.

When it comes to advice for becoming a PE teacher Mrs. Hannon states,”Just be prepared to have very large classes and deal with all different kinds of kids. It can be fun, but it can also be crazy.” Mrs Hannon also has advice for all students at Dana saying,” Make sure you come to school everyday and do your work, it will help you prepare for high school.”