Transphobia in the White House

Emerson Marquez, Staff Writer

About a month ago, Trump sent out a tweet saying, “After consulting with my generals and military experts, pleased be advised that the United States government will not accept or allow transgender soldier individuals to serve in any capacity in the U.S. military.” The thing is, that he never consulted with any generals or military experts.  After this tweet, military leaders had to reassure the 149,800 active and inactive military veterans and soldiers that no new policies have been enacted – despite Trump’s tweet. Shortly afterward, the official policy banning transgender soldiers from serving was activated on August 25, 2017.

The policy also bars funding to pay for gender-reassignment surgeries except when “necessary to protect the health of an individual who has already begun a course of treatment to resign his or her sex.” This gives the defence secretary until February 21, 2018 to make a plan for a new policy.

To add, multiple people have sued Donald Trump over this policy. Such as the American Civil Liberties Union of Maryland, on behalf of six transgender individuals serving in the Army, Navy, Air Force, National Guard and Naval Reserve and Lambda Legal, on behalf of a 12-year Army veteran and two young transgender men who hope to enlist, along with Human Rights Campaign and the Gender Justice League.

The biggest pain of all for the White House is that should they allow transgender individuals already in service to stay. I asked Dana students about what they think,”I think it’s ridiculous they should be able to serve no matter who they were and who they were now,”said 8th grader, Maria Siaple. This problem seems to bring us back to where we discriminated against colored people and it is still happening today but doing this would just show the world that this country does not accept transgenders or gays. Also the Defense Secretary, Jim Matthis has stated that the Pentagon will put a hold on the policy. All in all, if this policy is not stopped, it can go into action as soon as 2018 and this is very troubling for most transgender soldiers and activists because this might be a gateway to other bans based on race, sex, and skin color.