Visit Pappy’s Seafood in Downtown San Pedro

The new restaurant in town.

Cole Bruhnke, Editor-in-Chief

Pappy’s Seafood is a restaurant located in downtown San Pedro on 6th St. It officially opened on August 5, 2017 and has received rave reviews from it’s customers.

Brian Rooke, a manager and the brother of the owner of Pappy’s Seafood commented about the theme or concept of the restaurant, “The theme is coastal, seafood, and waterfront…”He also summarized the restaurant as, “casual seafood.”

After buying the building, significant renovations were done; the ceiling was opened up, windows were revealed, and the dining area was changed. Now the whole room feels more open because of the size and natural light.

The building for Pappy’s Seafood used to be a Greek restaurant called Papadakis Taverna. It was in business for 40 years and was an iconic restaurant for San Pedro.

According to the Daily Breeze, it used to,”draw…film stars, powerful politicians and sports celebrities in limousines with its authentic Greek food and lively, plate-smashing floor shows.” The new restaurant, whose name was inspired by the original, had some pretty big shoes to fill.

Pappy’s manager, Brian Rooke says, ”Business has been good. We’re very fortunate, we feel very lucky, to be in the city of San Pedro. We’ve been open for a month… and we’ve had steady flows of business. People are happy with what we’ve done and their excited that we’re here and we’re excited to be here.”

My experience with this restaurant started around 6:30 PM. My parents, my uncle (who was visiting), and I parked across the street in a good sized parking lot, walked towards the door, and entered.

The restaurant was decorated in the ocean and waterfront style i.e. the anchor.

This definitely works with the theme of the restaurant and what is serves.

On your right as you enter is the ordering counter and a huge menu on the wall behind it.

Ordering at the counter is part of the casual experience at this restaurant. Next to the counter is the bar where alcoholic drinks are ordered.

Now to the meal. Between us, we ordered the fried shrimp, thai flavored whole fish, shrimp tacos, fish and chips, clam chowder, and the hush puppies. I didn’t try the hush puppies or the fish and chips, but my family said they were very good.

My favorite dish was probably the clam chowder, although the thai flavored whole fish was exquisite. This clam chowder was very flavorful and had more clams than usual. The thai flavored whole fish was cooked well and had an interesting flavor that I enjoyed. The fried shrimp had a batter that was flavorful (which is pretty unusual) and the right amount of crunchiness. The shrimp was also cooked well. The shrimp tacos had smaller shrimp, but a good amount of them which I prefer.

Throughout our meal, the service was excellent. The staff always helped us if we needed something and our food came quickly.

When I asked manager, Brian Rooke about what dish he likes best he said that he has 3 main favorites. He likes the Mahi fish tacos because of their flavor and how they are not too bad for you. In addition, he says the Shrimp Po-Boy Sandwich and BLT sandwich (ordinarily bacon, lettuce, and tomato, here instead of bacon is pork belly) are tasty. I’m looking forward to trying his recommendations next time!

In an article in San Pedro Today, Greg Morena, the owner of the restaurant, stated, “Everyone has been so supportive. I’m lucky and proud to be here in San Pedro.”It’s evident that they have a commitment to the community as they have already started to sponsor local sports teams.

I enjoyed my experience at Pappy’s Seafood from the food to the casual feel to the friendly staff, and I highly suggest you try it too!

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Visit Pappy’s Seafood in Downtown San Pedro”

1. peter on September 26th, 2017 3:40 pm

this looks really good

[Reply]

2. Lexi Brian on September 26th, 2017 3:51 pm

I’ve eaten at this restaurant twice! I’ve enjoyed the food both times I came! I love that you wrote about this new restaurant! And I suggest many students and teachers try it too!

[Reply]

3. Birdy on October 11th, 2017 12:45 pm

Wow this is great, Good job Cole!

[Reply]

• Visit Pappy’s Seafood in Downtown San Pedro

Features

Mental Health Disorders

Features

Star vs. the Forces of Evil: A Show to Watch!

Features

College Spotlight: Stanford University

Features

This is Where it Ends: A Book Worth Reading

Features

The Newest Starbucks Limited Drink: The Zombie Frappuccino

Features

Visit Gray School of Music in San Pedro

Features

Book Review: Every Last Word

Features

5 Stars For 3BBQ in Rancho Palos Verdes

Features

8th Grade Spring Trip: New York, DC, and Pennsylvania

Features

College Spotlight: UC Berkeley, Go Bears!