Height in Tensions on the Korean Peninsula

Emerson Marquez, Staff Writer

Over the past month, the tensions on the Korean peninsula have risen significantly and many people think that there could be a bigger chance of a nuclear war.

In mid September, the UN security council had an emergency meeting in Geneva, Switzerland. All of the countries in the security council voted for US drafted sanctions against North Korea. They met because just days before North Korea tested their ninth bomb that went over Japan. This is the second time this has happened in a little bit over a month.

The new sanctions were approved and they cap North Korea’s oil imports, ban textile exports, and additional overseas laborer contracts, suppress smuggling efforts, stop joint ventures with other nations and sanction designated North Korean government entities.

Before these sanctions were released North Korea sent out a statement saying,”The forthcoming measures by DPRK [the Democratic Republic of Korea] will make the US suffer the greatest pain it has ever experienced in its history.”

Also the American ambassador to the UN, Nikki Haley stated,”We don’t take pleasure in further strengthening sanctions today. We are not looking for war.”

The main reason for the tensions between go back to the Korean war. The Korean war happened after World War 2 when imperial Japan was the owner of Korea but the Soviet Union declared war on them for the Korea with Chinese backed forces. When  the US saw this happening they decided to take the south part of it. They were able to spilt on the 38 parallel. Stuff got worse there during the Cold War between the US backed South Korea and the Soviet backed North Korea. They soon both declared independence but the countries backing them were still helping them. But soon a war broke out between the two countries. The US backed forces were forced all the way back to the bottom of South Korea but with multiple air attacks and an amphibian sneak attack they were able to push all the way back up. They soon signed a treaty that created a Demilitarized Xone between the two countries. But the two countries did not sign a peace treaty and so experts say that they are technically still at war.

The tensions were increased in this situation with a invasion of the small caribbean island of Grenada in October of 1983. The reason the US took over the island was primarily due to its ties to North Korea. North Korea saw that the US had seen the small country of Grenada as a threat and they saw that as early warning signs for them.

Also the leader before Kim Jong Un(Kim Il Sung) had diplomatic ties to the country of Grenada because he liked the socialist country and its leader at the time Maurice Bishop.

He also helped economic wise by sending tractors and cement and helping the agricultural industry. After the invasion, North Korea started to get worried with Reagan’s anti-communism policy. Specifically, how they were forming an alliance with South Korea and hyping up military actions there even more.

Donald Trump also had his first public UN presence at the UN building in New York. He said at the UN building that he would “totally destroy” North Korea. He also wanted to make sure that everyone knew that this was a global issue and that no one is safe.

Trump also accused Kim of overseeing a regime that has starved its people, brutalized and imprisoned American college student who was returned home in a coma, and assassinated Kim Jong Un’s older brother.

Also they threatened to test a hydrogen bomb in the Pacific Ocean.

7th grade world history and geography teacher Mrs.Bologna said,”It makes me nervous. I’m not sure if our military will be able to protect us because our military spending have been on the decline. Also, I always prefer diplomacy over action but the leader of North Korea seems very unreasonable.”

Diplomacy does seem like the best option for the US right now but our president that we have right now isn’t the best at negotiations.