Brazilian Judge Approves Conversion Therapy

Aytana Martinez, News Editor

Last week, Waldemar de Carvalho, a Brazilian judge, just approved gay conversion therapy.

Waldemar has overturned a 1999 Federal Council of Phycology decision which banned licensed psychologists of trying of “curing” gay people. This has sparked a widespread outrage and raised fears. Many people are now protesting against the ruling.

The head of Brazil’s National Gay Alliance, Toni Reis says that he plans to appeal the ruling at the Inter-American Court of Human Rights. Immediately after the rule was confirmed, Brazilians started to create a new hashtag, ridiculing the court’s ruling. #Cureagay [cure homosexuality] is now all over social media and widely shared.

Stella Dommer, a student here at Dana says that she thinks that we should celebrate our differences, “I think that our country is a country filled with different people, and that we should honor and celebrate our differences. This new rule states that being homosexual is a ‘disease’, I completely disagree with this! We are who we are, and scientifically you cannot change one’s attraction with a ‘cure’. No matter who loves who, it’s still love, and love should never be ashamed of.”

Many people are not just protesting in public, but also in social media. Brazilian superstar, Ivete Sangalo protested strongly against the decision on her Instagram, saying that calling homosexuality a “disease” is absurdity. She also said that the “sick ones” are the people who believe that this is a disease. Ivete is not the only celebrity protesting against this new rule. Many other superstars are also protesting on social media.

Roseangela Justino brought the case to court right after her license was revoked for offering “conversion therapy”, saying that she felt like she was directed by God to help those who are homosexual.

After Waldemar approved this case, many people have started to protest against the new ruling, saying that calling homosexuality a “disease” is definitely not OK. Soon, Brazil will have to decide if conversion therapy reflects the opinion of the Brazilian people over the topic of homosexuality, or if they are going to fight to help everyone understand that being gay is not something you choose, it’s not a disease, it’s simply the way some people are born.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Brazilian Judge Approves Conversion Therapy”

1. A Person on October 12th, 2017 2:28 pm

This is a great article and it explains such in a way that is amazing but the thing about the brazilian judge is that I bet he is homophobic.

[Reply]

2. Celest on October 13th, 2017 3:36 pm

I love this. It makes me think about how diversity is wrong to those who don’t care . I support LGBTQ, and love the idea. I am bisexual myself and deal with a lot of issues, because in middle school everyone is homophobic and gross so yeah.

[Reply]

• Brazilian Judge Approves Conversion Therapy

Saudi Arabia: Driving for All!

59 Killed In Las Vegas Shooting

Hurricane Maria: Churning Up The Caribbean

Columbus Day vs. Indigenous Day

Height in Tensions on the Korean Peninsula

DACA: Don’t Stop Dreaming!

Community News

Dana Students Support Hurricane Harvey Victims By Donation Goods

Miss Texas Fires on Trump

9/11’s 16th Anniversary

Youtube Parents Lose Custody of Children