Hurricane Maria: Churning Up The Caribbean

Samantha Brown, Features Editor

Hurricane Maria, a category four storm, made landfall on Wednesday September 20th. The hurricane crashed through the Caribbean and left Puerto Rico in shambles. The hurricane drenched the area with multiple feet of water. After the hurricane, Puerto Rico was left with almost no electricity. The only places where there is electricity is available to the public is the hospitals. In many areas, there is no place to use a toilet or drink clean water.  The food is limited, and multiple villages have been have been cut off from everything for more than nine days.

Steven Monje, a current 7th grade student at Dana Middle School explains, “I heard that the hurricane took out the power, water and all of their utilities in the area. I feel bad for the people that suffered the hurricane, and I hope that they get through this.”

Carmen Yulín Cruz, the current mayor of Puerto Rico, was bashed by Donald Trump after pleading for help on national television. Just mere hours after her emotional speech, Donald Trump tweeted, “Such poor leadership ability by the Mayor of San Juan, and others in Puerto Rico, who are not able to get their workers to help. They want everything to be done for them when it should be a community effort. 10,000 Federal workers now on Island doing a fantastic job.” After Trump posted these abrasive tweets, Bonnie Watson Coleman, a democratic politician counters, “Is your ego so fragile and your heart so cold that you’d attack a leader in the midst of a humanitarian crisis because she needs your help?”

The islands that had faced the hurricane now may face yet another problem. Puerto Rico, along with many other places, are dealing with standing water and high heat. The perfect conditions for mosquito-form diseases like the zika virus.

In an even worse scenario, although Puerto Rico has not faced this risk since 1856, there are whispers that the deadly, highly contagious cholera disease may spread throughout the area once again. Vibrio Cholerae, a key element of cholera, is often seen in Puerto Rican rivers. Although these may not cause disease, with the aftermath of the hurricane looming, this can become very dangerous very quickly.

Just recently, Donald Trump said in a meeting that the Puerto Rican hurricane, “Threw our budget out of whack.” Instead of saying encouraging comments or offering help, he chose to criticize Puerto Rico in their time of need. Trump compared the destruction from Hurricane Maria to the mass destruction of Hurricane Katrina, calling Hurricane Katrina, “A real disaster.”

Will there be yet another cholera outbreak in the area? Can Puerto Rico endure the aftermath of Hurricane Maria, and are there more hurricanes on the way?

1 Comment

One Response to “Hurricane Maria: Churning Up The Caribbean”

1. gracie on October 17th, 2017 12:57 pm

great article Sami!!!!!!

• Hurricane Maria: Churning Up The Caribbean

President Obama Hits the Campaign Trail to Support Democrats

Oldest Animal Fossil in the World

Is This the End of YouTube?

DARPA Plans to Invest $2 Billion in AI Research

Serena Williams Fined

The Next Big Thing To The Hubble

Hurricane Florence Wrecks Havoc on the Carolinas

How did the Brazilian Museum Fire Happen? What is the Brazilian Government doing?

American Malls are Slowly Coming to an End!

Pollution: It’s Making You Less Smart