59 Killed In Las Vegas Shooting

Aytana Martinez, News Editor

On Sunday, October 1st in Las Vegas, 59 people were killed and approximately 500 people were injured after a mass shooting at the Route 91 Harvest festival. The shooting occurred at around 10:00 PM at an outdoor country music concert.

Famous country singer Jason Aldean was performing a song when the shots started firing. The shooter, now identified as 64 year-old Stephen Paddock, was shooting his machine guns from the 32nd floor of a Las Vegas hotel named Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino. The concert was being held across the street from the hotel.

Authorities found a total of 42 guns in the hotel room that Stephen Paddock was staying in the night of his attack. As a result of firing his weapons, he broke two of the windows that belonged to his hotel room. The authorities also said is that they also found multiple rifles which were modified to be fully automatic. Many witnesses say that the gunshots lasted for about 15-20 minutes without any sort of break.

“I feel like it was unfair not only to one person, but to all who were a part of the entire shooting. One man I don’t know very well [was killed] but I did know him before the shooting,” says a student here at Dana that unfortunately lost a known person in the shooting.

Not all the people who got injured were from gunshot wounds. In fact, most of the people that were in the hospital were injured by others trampling them in their haste to get out of the area.  There were an estimated of 22,000 people that attended the concert that night.

This is said to be the largest mass shooting in modern United States history. Many people were killed that night, including a special education teacher from Manhattan Beach Middle School. A GoFundMe campaign for the victims and families of the Las Vegas Shooting has raised about $4.2 million dollars since it started on Monday. Hopefully, many of the people still in the hospital will recover, and the victims who are no longer with us will always be remembered.