College Spotlight: Stanford University

College Spotlight: Stanford University

Emerson Marquez, Staff Writer

Ah, college: the golden brick road to our futures. The path that leads to early retirement or riding a golden horse for no darn reason. To put it simply, college is the chance to rise above your peers and give yourself a head start.

Even after knowing this, you would have to choose a college from the millions of colleges out there. And with such a variety of colleges not just in this country but the entire world, you would have to choose one. So, if you want to know some options about colleges, just read my article about one best colleges in the country.

Stanford University was founded on November 11, 1885. The university is next to the city of Palo Alto and in between the cities of San Francisco and San José.

Stanford is a more of an academic school with high achieving scores and great faculty and staff, but they do also have some great sports teams in a variety of college sports. A sport they has is tennis, with both of their men’s and women’s tennis teams winning 35 championships. In basketball, both teams have brought in 3 championships and the baseball team has brought in 2. They are also a part of the Pac Twelve conference. The school does not have an official mascot, but it does use the pine tree in some sports.

With all of its academic achievement, it is sometimes nicknamed the Ivy League School of The West with 30 billionaires and 17 astronauts graduating from there.

The full tuition for a full-time undergraduate was 42,690 in 2013-2014. But don’t lose hope, the school spends an extensive amount of money for scholarships and aids and if you apply for aid it will probably lower your tuition for a better chance of staying there There also is a no loan policy in there so you can’t apply for one and that is good thing because it might swamp you with student loans for the rest of your life. Also for low-income family they will either lower your tuition or in some cases there is no tuition at all.

Stanford also is a leading research university with 18 intuitions, 20 libraries(with over 9.5 million volumes) and an annual budget for research being 1.6 billion it is a great university for people with ideas for science, health, and even robotics. Also Stanford together with UC Berkeley and UC San Francisco, are part of the BioHub, a new medical science research center founded in 2016 by a $600 million commitment from Facebook CEO and founder Mark Zuckerberg and pediatrician Priscilla Chan.

The history of Stanford is that the university was founded in 1885 by Leland and Jane Stanford in memory of their only child, Leland Stanford Jr., who had died of typhoid fever at age 15 the previous year. Stanford was a former Governor of California and U.S. Senator; he made his fortune as a railroad tycoon. The school admitted its first students on October 1, 1891, as a coeducational and nondenominational institution.

In conclusion, Stanford is a high academic school with a great sport program.