The Main Campus or the Olguin Campus: Which is Right for You?

Cole Bruhnke, Editor in Chief

A frequent question among San Pedro students: Is the main campus or Olguin campus better? Of course, this depends on what you are looking for in a school.

The modern looking Olguin campus is on Alma St in San Pedro near the famous Korean Bell. It was opened in August of 2012. Schools on this campus are the Marine Science Magnet and the Police Academy Magnet. Fun Fact: It uses renewable energy that it generates from on site wind turbines.

The main or flagship campus is on 15th St in San Pedro. It was built in 1903, 25 years before Dana Middle School opened.

The School for Advanced Studies and the new Gifted STEAM Magnet are programs available to join. There are also 4 SLCs (Small Learning Communities) at the main campus including Business, Pirate Fitness, Pedro Action League, and Global. SLCs are divisions within a larger school. Each SLC has the same group of students, counselor, and teachers.

One reason the main campus has SLCs and the Olguin campus doesn’t, is because it has more students. It has approximately 2200 students while the Olguin campus has around 400.

But with more students comes more classes; far more are offered at the flagship campus. The same is true of AP (Advanced Placement) classes. AP classes are college level classes that allow you to earn college credit if you pass the test.  The Olguin campus offers about 9 while the flagship campus offers approximately 20.

On the other hand, the Olguin campus has more access to technology. It also offers a Marine Biology class and Filmmaking.

Another thing to consider is options of extracurricular activities like clubs, sports, and music.

The main campus offers pretty much any sport you want to play. They also have an award winning band, cheer, dance, and drama. There are too many clubs to list.

Image result for san pedro high school band

At the Olguin campus, there is a multi-purposed artificial turf field, baseball field, and a pool for sports.

Although, students can travel back and forth on buses between the campuses at nutrition, lunch, and afterschool. Of course, this is inconvenient and it wouldn’t work out in every student’s schedule.

Each school has its own pros and cons, but you might be able to travel back and forth. If these are your choices for high school, your decision should be based on your priorities.

Cole Bruhnke, Editor-in-chief
Cole Bruhnke is a 8th grader here at Dana Middle School. He’s been here at Dana since 6th grade. His favorite theme park is Universal Studios  even though he’s never been much of a theme park person, the thing he likes the most there is Harry Potter World. His favorite subject is life science. His...