Book Review: Holding up the Universe

Isabella Terzoli, Social Media Manager

Holding up the Universe was written by Jennifer Niven, it’s 402 pages and 20 reading counts points.

Everyone thinks they know Libby Strout, the girl once dubbed “America’s Fattest Teen.” But no one’s taken the time to look past her weight to get to know who she really is. Following her mom’s death, she’s been picking up the pieces in the privacy of her home, dealing with her heartbroken father and her own grief. Now, Libby’s ready: for high school, for new friends, for love, and for every possibility life has to offer.

Everyone thinks they know Jack Masselin, too.What no one knows is that Jack has a newly acquired secret: he can’t recognize faces. Even his own brothers are strangers to him. He’s the guy who can re-engineer and rebuild anything in new ways.  but he can’t understand what’s going on with the inner workings of his brain. So he tells himself to play it cool: Don’t get to close to anyone.

When the two get tangled up in a cruel high school game which lands them in group counseling, Libby and Jack are both angry, and then surprised. Because the more time they spend together, the less alone they feel. Because sometimes when you meet someone, it changes the world – theirs and yours.

Libby thinks she has made a new friend-Jack-and thought he would support her stand against everyone, (even though they are in a bit of a fight) considering she is overweight everyone has told her she isn’t wanted. Libby takes a stand and wears a bikini in the hallways of her school and passes out papers saying: “You are wanted. Big, small, tall, short, pretty, plain, friendly, shy. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise…not even yourself.”

But Jack doesn’t think that such a great idea, which ends up with him and Libby in a bigger fight.

In the end Libby and Jack come to their senses and realize why one another were upset. If you want to hear about Jack and Libby’s story check out this book!