Apple vs. Android: The Better Phone

Denis Mardesich, Staff Writer

Since the dawn of the age of smartphones, which have now taken the world by storm, Apple and Android have come out with more and more smartphones for generations. However  there are many arguments about this one question, “Which is better?”

The first smartphone, the iPhone was released on June 27th, 2007, and the first Android phone was released on October 22nd, 2008. This phone was the T-Mobile G1, or the HTC Dream in other countries. It looked quite strange because it looked like phones that had came out before the iPhone, slide out keyboard and all, but it behaved like the iPhone.

Android Inc. was bought by Google in 2005, but the Android operating system was already developed or in development. Google saw potential in Android and little did they know the operating system would become a giant.

Now in 2018 Apple is currently the leader in the smartphone business claiming that 41.9% of smartphone users own an iPhone. The rest of the percentage belongs to companies that use the Android OS such as Samsung, LG, and Motorola.

Now to talk about which OS (Operating System) is the better choice. Let’s start with affordability. Apple’s iPhone X currently costs a stupidly, expensive price of $999, however, the iPhone 6s which is currently the most bought iPhone costs $449.

AFP
Senior Vice President of Worldwide Marketing at Apple, Philip Schiller, introduces the iPhone X during a media event at Apple’s new headquarters in Cupertino, California on September 12, 2017. / AFP PHOTO / Josh Edelson

Android phones have multiple prices ranging from under one hundred dollars to thousands. Simply because of Android’s large price range, this point goes to Android.

Next up, we have features. Apple’s iOS 11 has brought many new features, such as allowing multiple apps to be added to the control center, live wallpapers, and the iPhone X has added face unlock features. On the other hand, Apple still is lacking a lot of customization options. Android phones include icon packs and various launchers which allow you to customize the dock and add new features such as widgets, app drawers, and folders. So, once again this point goes to Android.

The last thing to be covered is speed and storage space. The best thing about Android is the wide variety of phones and this is why Android also manages to win this spot. Android phones have a huge variety that allows the right phone for a certain person to be found.

Even though I had come to the conclusion that Android was the better choice, I wanted to find out what other students at Dana thought. After asking, it seems like the opinions were 50/50.

6th grade student, Marissa Salvador  said, “I prefer Apple, just because I’ve been using their products my whole life, and I’ve never touched an Android device.” However when asking 6th grader, Tanner Wymore he replied with, “I like Android because it’s more affordable, some phones have longer battery life and there’s just more features than an iPhone.”

When Steve Jobs first introduced the iPhone in 2007 he said that the iPhone would be a revolutionary device that would change everything. Believe me, it surely did change everything, however Android is just the better choice.

Overall, smartphones are great and useful tools that allow us to connect and work, but I personally believe that Android is the better choice simply because of the wide variety of phones, even though we must respect the original, the Apple iPhone,which started us off and brought us into a new age.