Youtube: A History Uncleared

Denis Mardesich, Staff Writer

Youtube was founded on February 14th, 2005 by Chad Hurley, Steve Chen, and Jawed Kim in San Mateo California. Originally most of the creators and people that were on Youtube were just making videos for fun. However, Youtube has evolved into much more.

Youtube actually started to gain the attention of the public in 2006 when most of its original content creators started making videos on the site.

2006 was also the year that Youtube was bought by Google for about 1.65 billion dollars. In 2006, the Youtube channel Smosh was the most subscribed creator on the platform with 3,000 people being subscribed to them, this seems like nothing compared to Pewdiepie now, who currently has 60 million subscribers. Other popular channels included Freddie Wong (freddiew), Ryan Higa (nigahiga), and Peter Oakley (geriatric1987).

As well as being home to many creators trying to make a name for themselves on the platform, Youtube also has a lot of features for its users. The main features of Youtube consist of subscribing, which allows users to follow certain channels, new videos uploaded by this channel will show up in the user’s Subscription section. Users can also like and dislike videos and comment on them, Youtube also has recently added the Share section which allows users to share videos with each other.

In 2007, Youtube announced their new Partner Program, which allowed creators to become a partner and have their videos monetized, this means that that ads would appear on their videos and they would make money. This brought a lot of people onto the site and Youtube gained a lot more viewers.

Youtube also added a live streaming feature along with Youtube Gaming in August of 2015 to compete with another popular streaming site called Twitch which is owned by Amazon. Live streaming is now a very popular thing on the platform and allows for creators to become more connected with their viewers by talking to them in real time. Viewers of a stream can also send super chats, super chats are donations that can be sent along with a message which stays on the stream’s chat for a certain period of time which depends on the amount of money that is donated.

Since Youtube is so popular, I wanted to see what other students liked about the platform, and who their favorite creators were. 6th grader Matthew Ocegueda’s favorite creator on the platform was, “I’d say it would have to be Logan Paul because he makes funny and entertaining videos and I seem to find myself watching them almost everyday.”

6th grader Abigail Burrell comments on why she uses Youtube, “I use it because it is very entertaining and there are some great videos on it.” From these responses I concluded that most people like the platform because there is a video for pretty much everybody that uses it.

Overall, Youtube is a very great platform that has been around for many years and has some great videos on it, whether you have been watching since 2005 or just got the app yesterday I’m sure there will be something that you will love to watch on Youtube.