Jumanji Movie Review: Welcome to the Jungle!

Jumanji : Welcome to the Jungle

Arianna Cau, Opinions Editor

In December of 2017, Columbia Pictures made a reboot of the movie “Jumanji”  called “Jumanji : Welcome to the Jungle” that takes place in a video game that is set in the jungle.

The plot of the movies focuses on four teenagers, Spencer, Martha, Bethany, and Fridge. They all get detention and end up serving it in their school’s basement. There they find “Jumanji” and play it. After they choose their characters they get transported into the world of Jumanji and become their avatars.  In the game they grow closer, figure out puzzles and solve the mystery of “Freak House.”

Spencer (Alex Wolff) the gaming nerd becomes the overpowered, muscular, Dr. Smolder Bravestone (Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson). Fridge (Ser’Darius Blain) the tall, football jock becomes the short, sidekick, zoologist Moose Finbar (Kevin Hart). Bethany (Madison Iseman) the popular, pretty, and instagram addict, becomes the male, map reading, guide Professor Sheldon “Shelly” Oberon (Jack Black).  And Martha (Morgan Jeanette Turner) the shy girl with a big voice becomes Ruby Roundhouse (Karen Gillan), the dance fighting, all martial arts known, killer of men.   

The movies of both Jumanji’s were great and very similar but they did have their differences. First of all, the new movie starts 1 year after where we leave off in the first movie, and 27 years after the game became lost. In the first movie, when it was a board game, the game came to them while in the second movie, they went into the video game.

In “Jumanji”  there was a more serious note to it while in “Jumanji : Welcome to the Jungle”  there was more comedy. Alan Parrish was also gone longer in the first movie which was for 26 years while the second one was gone for 21 years. Alan Parrish was also younger in the first movie. In the first movie Alan Parrish was about 12 while in the second movie he seemed to be about 16.

There was also some similarities between the two movies. First of all they did use one of the pieces in the second movie that they used to play in the first movie. There was also some element of getting sucked into the game when a player has to sit out until certain numbers roll. As well as that the players were put back where they were when they started the game like they did in the first movie. They also had to say Jumanji when they were finished.

Overall, the movie was great and even did justice for the original. I would highly recommend seeing or getting this movie.  Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 76% fresh rating but I would give it a 4 out of 4 kids stuck in a video game rating.