SpaceX’s Newest Rocket: Falcon Heavy

Look, there goes the Falcon Heavy!

Jared Arbolario, Staff Writer

For years spacecraft manufacturers like NASA and Boeing have been trying to create and design the perfect rocket: a rocket that can launch more than one time. Now, SpaceX has finally created that rocket. On February 6, 2018, SpaceX, a rocket manufacturer launched the most powerful rocket in history at the Kennedy Space Center, the Falcon Heavy.

SpaceX is a company that was founded in 2002 by Elon Musk, who is also the CEO, and has employed over 5,000 people. Elon Musk also founded companies like Tesla and Paypal. SpaceX’s HQ is in Hawthorne, CA, and they own facilities in Texas, California, and Florida, where the Falcon was launched.Image result for spacex elon musk

The company has been designing and creating crafts that launch out of the atmosphere, into the orbit, and even farther. So far SpaceX has launched well-known crafts such as the Falcon 9 and the Dragon. SpaceX has focused on sending resources into orbit, and launching and relaunching their rockets.

The Falcon Heavy was made to carry payloads up to 141,000 pounds into orbit. The shuttle is about 230 feet, and is composed of 3 boosters, similar to the Falcon 9 booster, forming the whole craft. Each of these engines contains 9 Merlin engines, creating the powerful thrust to launch the rocket.

Like other rockets, there are multiple stages of launching. Before the first stage, the rocket was launched off of Launch Pad 39A, of Kennedy Space Center. After takeoff, the first stage is when all 3 boosters on on. Shortly after the liftoff, the center booster’s throttle is turned down, and the side boosters fall off, and the center booster returns to full throttle. The second stage is when the last Falcon 9 booster launches the payload to orbit. The cores that were dropped are reusable and land stand up on Earth.

This accomplishment brings spacecrafts up a notch or 2. SpaceX also has been trying to make humans an interplanetary race, or bring us to planets like Mars. Luckily, Musk is in a generation of people dreaming of planetary transportation, including Jeffrey Bezos, founder of aerospace company Blue Origin, who also sees millions living in space.

To “not make things boring,” Musk put his personal Tesla Roadster with a mannequin named “Starman”, testing the power of the thrust. Musk said “It’s kind of silly and fun, but silly and fun things are important.”

Image result for falcon heavy

This is another milestone for not only SpaceX, but for all of rocket science. Even though the Falcon Heavy is the most powerful rocket so far, and can be used multiple times, it’s still just the beginning. Sooner or later, people will be living on the Moon or Mars. It doesn’t just depend on the minds of workers at places like NASA or SpaceX, but also minds like yours too! “Crazy things can come true,” Elon Musk said. “I didn’t really think this would work — when I see the rocket lift up, I see a thousand things that could not work, and it’s amazing when they do.”

Jared Arbolario, Staff Writer
Jared Arbolario is an 8th grade student at Dana Middle School. Before he came here to Dana, Jared went to both 15th Street Elementary School and Park Western. One of his hobbies is playing the piano. He plays classical and jazz music. To add, Jared is learning Ju Jitsu as well. When he is not...