Train Carrying GOP Lawmakers Collides Into Truck

What happened?

Jared Arbolario, Staff Writer

Imagine riding a train to your place of destination. You’re sitting there, and you hear some commotion up at the front of the train. You look out the window and you see that a truck is driving across the intersection. Less than a minute later, the train smashes into the truck sending not only the people in the train across the cabin, but also the truck rolling away from the tracks. Not too long ago, an Amtrak train carrying Congress members had collided into a truck in Crozet, Virginia, on January 31, 2018.

Republican Congress members were on their way to their annual policy retreat in Greenbrier Resort for 3 days, focusing on their year’s midterms and their policy agenda, when they hit the truck that was carrying garbage at 11:20 AM. There was one fatality, a passenger in the truck, and many injuries, including 2 others in the truck, 2 Amtrak members, and 3 passengers. The deceased individual was identified as 28 year-old Christopher Foley.

Some of the Republicans in the train included senators such as Jeff Flake of Arizona and Bill Cassidy of Louisiana. There were also a few representatives, such as Greg Walden of Oregon, Tom Cole of Oklahoma, and Jason Lewis of Minnesota. Cassidy commented on what was witnessed: “There were 3 people in the truck that was straddling the track and which the train hit. One is dead. One I am told is being transported but has minor injuries.”

When the train crashed, fortunately, some of the passengers on the train were trained physicians, and were able to help the 2 other passengers on the truck. According to The New York Times, “Mr. Cassidy said he and the others focused on a third man in serious condition. They lifted his legs to try to get blood to his head and heart. Another performed CPR. Eventually paramedics arrived to take the man to the hospital.”

According to Amtrak, CSX Transportation, which controls the train traffic in the area of collision, had accidentally flipped a switch, disrupting the traffic signals in the intersection of the road and the tracks.

Image result for gop train crash virginiaEven though a single person had died, this collision still is of importance. If the group of Congress members had been majorly injured, or even died, it would disrupt the government’s plans. Even though these agenda plans are important, the safety of these people matter more. The train was able to resume to it’s time, and almost everyone made it out alive but not necessarily healthy.

Jared Arbolario, Staff Writer
Jared Arbolario is an 8th grade student at Dana Middle School. Before he came here to Dana, Jared went to both 15th Street Elementary School and Park Western. One of his hobbies is playing the piano. He plays classical and jazz music. To add, Jared is learning Ju Jitsu as well. When he is not...