Yemen Famine Affecting Millions

Samantha Brown, Features Editor

Over 8 million people in Yemen have been starving since spring of 2017, due to an outbreak of cholera and Saudi Arabia’s war with Qatar.

This could be the worst humanitarian crisis in 50 years. Yemen is the Arab world’s poorest country, and has endured nearly 3 years of war between Houthi rebels and Saudi forces. These conflicts caused a major lack of food in Yemen, leaving millions in need of humanitarian help.

To add, the war-torn country of Yemen is facing yet another challenge; a cholera outbreak which broke out to 1 million cases in just one year. You may be wondering, what is cholera? Cholera is a fatal bacterial disease that can be found in unfiltered or unclean water. There has been over 5,000 cases of cholera per day in this devastated area. This cholera outbreak may be the worst outbreak the world has ever seen. There has been around 605 deaths, and one fourth of these were just mere children.

Jaylin Couch, a 7th grade student at Dana Middle School says, “I feel that the people in Yemen right now do not deserve all the things that are happening to them. I would try to help them by cleaning the water and would try to find a way to bring food to them.”

The UN’s Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) gave $50 million dollars to the relief effort in Yemen. The amount of money donated is considered the largest amount of money made by the CERF. Lowcock says that the sum of money will help prepare the aid that is coming to Yemen this year.

Mark Lowcock, the head of the UN office for the coordination of humanitarian affairs (OCHA), says,”The situation in Yemen – today, right now, to the population of the country – looks like the apocalypse.”

To conclude, even before the wars and outbreaks started, Yemen was already the most poor country, and now they have even more to deal with. What will happen to Yemen, and what can we do to fix it?