17 Dead After a Florida High School Shooting

Aytana Martinez, News Editor

On February 14, an active shooter came to Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, and shot and killed 17 people, with 14 others hospitalized. Nikolas Cruz, the shooter, has been charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder, one for each person who was killed.

Cruz was expelled from Stoneman Douglas High school for unspecified disciplinary reasons. He first arrived at the school with help from an Uber and pulled out an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle and started shooting. He carried a duffel bag filled with loaded magazines and a backpack.

Authorities say that Cruz blended in with the students and staff evacuating the school. Authorities think this is how he left the school after the shooting. He was later found at a neighboring community.

According to investigators, when Nikolas was in the school, they were led to believe that he pulled the fire alarm to draw people out of their classrooms and increase the number of casualties. The school already had a fire alarm drill earlier that day, leading some to believe that it was a false alarm.

Cruz shot people inside five classrooms, killing four faculty and fourteen students. Nikolas also recently confessed that he “began shooting students in the hallways.” He is being tried  for the first time in court on February 14, and he is denied the ability to be bailed out.

A leader of a White Nationalist group claimed that Cruz was a member. The group Nikolas was reportedly a part of wants Florida to become its own ethno-state, meaning that they want Florida to become defined in terms of ethnicity.

Sheriff’s deputies were called to the Cruz family home 39 times since 2010.

One teacher from the high school, Melissa Falkowski, returned to her classroom and hid in a closet with 19 of her other students from her newspaper class. An assistant American football coach at the school is being hailed a hero for protecting students from the bullets. Aaron Feis also worked as a security guard was fatally injured after diving in front of a pupil, protecting them from the shooter.

Athena Seiple, a 7th grade student here at Dana says that she feels horrible for the students and that they are traumatized for the rest of their lives. “Imagine seeing someone get gunned down right next to you. And you knowing them. It’s awful. And I imagine that there is a lot of survival guilt or them feeling like they could have done more even if they couldn’t have,” she says. “If I were in a situation where there was an active shooter in the school I would follow my teacher’s instructions. I would text all my friends to make sure they were ok afterward and try to help any way I could during the shooting,” she adds.

The student survivors, mourning their losses of their friends, are determined to change the gun laws that America holds. The students are planning marches, their purpose to put pressure on Congress to pass gun reform and make schools safer. The group is planning a school walk-out in March to protest the gun laws.

Many students are writing speeches to emphasize how schools need to be safer and how the gun laws need to be changed. Emma Gonzalez, a student survivor, wrote a speech shaming the people that are accepting money from the National Rifle Association. “All these people should be home grieving. But instead we are all here standing together because if all our government and President can do is send thoughts and prayers, then it’s time for victims to be the change that we need to see.”

Aytana Martinez, Editor-In-Chief

Aytana Martinez is an 8th grader in the STEAM Magnet program at Dana middle School. Aytana has one sister that goes to Dana. Aytana’s hobbies are to...

3 Comments

3 Responses to “17 Dead After a Florida High School Shooting”

1. Sophie on March 12th, 2018 10:05 pm

I feel really bad for the ones who had to go through that!

2. Luke Rezai on April 4th, 2018 2:19 pm

Ya, I feel really bad for those kids and there family’s and all those affected. Who ever did that should be imprisoned for the rest of there life, and never get the opportunity to be bailed out.

3. qwert on April 18th, 2018 12:57 pm

or instead of having the tax payers pay for his food and healthcare they can just give them the death penalty i think it is reasonable to end their life after the horrible crimes they commit

• 17 Dead After a Florida High School Shooting

Trump Tweeting on Global Warming

CNN Outraged As White House Takes Away Press Pass

The Death And Legacy of George H. W. Bush

38 Women of Color Took Their Seats in Congress

The Landing on Mars

Stan Lee Passes Away at 95

6ix9ine Gets Prosecuted

Creator of Spongebob Squarepants Dies at Age 57

Migrant Caravan Headed for US Border

Google Walkout, A Turning Point in Tech