The History of the AR-15

The History of the AR-15

Emerson Marquez, Staff Writer

In Las Vegas 58 people dead and 489 people injured, their ages range from 20 to 67 and people from California to Massachusetts to the provinces of Canada have felt the shock. –USA Today

The victims of the mass shooting at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Florida, had diverse backgrounds and interests. But all came to Pulse expecting a fun night out at a place known for its inclusive spirit, and all became victims of what authorities are calling the worst mass shooting in United States history, which killed 49 innocent people.- People Magazine

It remains among America’s most heinous nightmares: the lives of 20 little children and six adults — dancers and swimmers, pianists and painters, budding readers, little sisters and big brothers — extinguished in a flash of violence inside Sandy Hook Elementary- CNN

A football coach. An athletic director and young, eager and forward-looking students. They were among the 17 people killed by a gunman Wednesday at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.– CNN

All these mass shootings that were listed above have two things in common. One is that they all took place in the U.S. and second, the gun that was used was a AR 15 style weapon. If we are going to go back in time and see the history of this very destructive gun, then we have to start at the Vietnam war.

When the gun was used in the Vietnam war it was under a different name, the M-16. It was manufactured by the company Colt’s. In 1963, the U.S. military selected Colt’s to manufacture the automatic rifle that soon became standard issue for U.S. troops in the Vietnam War. After the success in the army, they began selling the gun to Law Enforcement and the public but under a different name, the AR 15. The gun was made for mass casualties in Vietnam, and now they were selling that same gun to the public. The manufacturer of the gun, Colt, had a patton on it, but when the patton ran out in 1970 many other companies started to manufacture different copies of the gun.

In addition, there were two more shootings that I didn’t name above that the AR 15 was used: The Sutherland Springs, Texas church shooting that killed 26 people in November, and the San Bernardino, California shooting that killed 14 people in 2015. Both were horrible shootings that should’ve never happened.

To conclude, these weapons were never meant for the public and people who were never trained to use these guns. There needs to be new gun laws either outlawing these guns or making it harder for a person to acquire them.