Staff Spotlight: Get to Know Mr. Gebhart!

Get to know Dana's principal better!

Jared Arbolario, Staff Writer

Mr. Gebhart is the principal at Dana Middle school and has been at Dana since 2014. Though he’s been here for a few years, he has been in education for over 15 years!

Outside school grounds, Mr. Gebhart loves to play basketball and enjoys reading. Alongside these activities, he loves to watch Sylvester Stallone’s, Rocky III (and can recite almost every line). With this, not only is he one of five children, but he also has 5 children too. On his path before schools, he went to CSUDH, or California State University Dominguez Hills, and received not only a BA in English, but also a Masters in Educational Administration.

Before Dana, Mr. Gebhart taught English in several schools. Starting his educational career in 2000, he taught English at Gardena High School from 2000 to 2004. Afterward, he continued teaching English from 2004 to 2012 at SPHS. Then, from then to 2014, he became the assistant principal at LAHS, or Los Angeles High School. Finally, he turned to his first middle school job, being principal of Dana MS since 2014.

Around the end of his high school career, he sought to finally become a principal. He was looking for a school that not only had educational opportunity, but also a community connection. “Dana was the perfect combination.” Ever since then, he has been working to encourage community connection and education.

If you go to Dana, staff or student alike, you’ll notice that series of conflicts can arise here and there. Thankfully, Mr. Gebhart wants to create “an overall school culture of respect.” To reach this goal, “it takes people trusting each other.” He believes that even though it is “neither quick nor easy”, trust and acceptance can create the overall school culture of respect.

To help this cause, he also wants to connect with staff, students, and parents/guardians himself. To avoid mistrust and conflict, he tries to be as honest and transparent with them. “I try to keep an open door… It is not always easy, but it does mean that others can count on having a genuine interaction.”

Like many people, Mr. Gebhart has felt changed from the start of his career to the present day. Because he had prior experience with students at high school level and experience with middle school students, he has a wider understanding of the challenges and conflicts at that age. After being in a school career for over a decade, he’s learned a lot about how to help and advise students in the middle school range.

Being the principal and a staff who wants good in all students, he wants all students to “learn who they are, trust that person, and make decisions that stay true to themselves.” Also, being committed to causes for social justice, he understands that the world is a place that always wants to change people to become what it wants but he thinks: “find yourself, and stay yourself.”

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Staff Spotlight: Get to Know Mr. Gebhart!”

1. Eliana Flores on April 27th, 2018 1:55 pm

Great job Jared

[Reply]

2. sophie on April 30th, 2018 12:02 pm

wow this is cool!

[Reply]

3. ashlee nicolee on April 30th, 2018 12:33 pm

mr.gibbhart is freinds wth ma uncle…..

[Reply]

• Staff Spotlight: Get to Know Mr. Gebhart!

Features

Career Spotlight: Life of a Construction Worker

Features

Mr. Seiple; The Great Sensei!

Features

Bringing Some Art to 25th Street

Features

Staff Spotlight: Mr. Drake and Windsurfing

Features

Come to Pixar Fest!

Features

Steer Towards Success At Full Sail University

Features

Come Visit The Chori-Man!

Features

Staff Spotlight: The Life of Mrs.Traylor

Features

The San Pedro Fish Market; Best Seafood in Town!

Features

Saving the Sea Lions and Seals at the Marine Mammal Care Center