What Dana Did To Celebrate Pi Day

What Dana Did To Celebrate Pi Day

Samantha Brown, Features Editor

Pi Day is a day loved by many, which is why it has been celebrated for over 30 years. Many people around the world celebrate this day every year, and this includes Dana Middle School!

Pi Day was founded by Physicist Larry Shaw in 1988, and has been an official holiday ever since. Not only does this day happen to be the first 3 digits of pi (3.14), but it is also on Albert Einstein’s birthday. Now, you may be wondering, how did Dana incorporate Pi Day into the average school day?

Ms. Traylor, a 7th grade science teacher at Dana stated , “We had at least 10 people compete for the Pi digit contest, and then we had at least 12 people compete for the pie making contest,” She continued , “This day reminds us how important math is to us.”

Many students enjoyed the Pi Day themed events, including Jocelyn Barber who says that it  was a fun experience. “I liked that they [the teachers ] took something we were learning in math and actually made it into a fun experience,” Jocelyn describes, “Almost all of my friends participated in the events. We all had so much fun and it was a great experience.”  

The two events that the students participated in were appreciated by everyone that chose to come. The first event, which took place in advisory, was a contest to see who could say the most numbers of pi as they could. The second event took place during lunch, and it was a pie baking competition. Kids were asked to bake a pie at home, and then bring it to school to have their pie taste-tested by teachers and students alike.

“We have done Pi competitions before, but, never like this year. Every year, the 7th grade STEAM teachers get together and we try and figure out ways to make our competitions fun. So, this year, we decided that a pie competition would be a good addition,” Ms. Traylor clarifies.

To conclude, did you participate in any of these events, or are you planning to next year?

Samantha Brown, Editor-in-Chief

Samantha Brown is an 8th grade STEAM Magnet student here at Dana Middle school. This is her second year in Journalism. She is the Co-Editor-in-Chief of...