The National Guard: At The Border?

4,000 troops are being sent at the border

Jared Arbolario, Staff Writer

For months now, you have seen him cut illegal immigration in a matter of days. His goal is to eliminate illegal immigration from other countries (especially Mexico). Who is this? Well it’s our president, President Donald Trump. Now, he has already signed a proclamation on April 4, 2018, stating that about 4,000 National Guard troops be sent at the Mexican-US border.

Seen on the news, and heard all around, President Trump has reduced the amount of immigration from Mexico. Limiting amounts of family allowed in the US, the construction of “the wall”, and now there is this: sending troops to guard the border.

So far, 3 Southwest states have agreed to sending the National Guard troops, Texas, California, New Mexico, and Arizona. Because the wall is so large, being over 10 million feet (over 3 million meters), troops will be spread between these states, from 300 to 500 troops per state.

Governor Doug Ducey, of Arizona, states his opinion on Trump’s action. “The announcement by President Trump to call up the National Guard to support the mission of the Border Patrol is needed and welcomed.” Ducey says.

Even though this sounds like something big and new, it’s occurred before, presidents ordering troops to the southern border. Back in 1986, our 40th president, Ronald Reagan sent National Guard troops to the border, temporarily cutting illegal immigration. Not only did he send troops to the border, but so did several others. George Bush sent 6,000 troops during his serve.

But why place the troops at the border right now? Why didn’t they already place them before? According to John Burnett, of NPR, the “so-called Trump Effect is wearing off.” Statistics show that at the beginning of Trump’s campaign, illegal immigration dropped, immigrants feared the greater consequences. But now illegal immigration is starting to increase slowly. Because there is a slow, yet steady increase in the immigration, Trump wants to make sure the arrivals are cut down until the (supposed) wall is built.

In an NPR interview with U.S. Border Patrol agent, Terry Shigg, Shigg is asked whether the illegal immigration is considered a crisis. “From where I’m sitting in San Diego sector, we have different levels of security from fencing and walls, but the one thing that is consistent is that every station along the Southwest border is short of manpower.” Shigg says.

Though all four Southwest border states have agreed to deploying the National Guard, the process is still developing. Will the National Guard provide effective border control? To protect Americans, Trump hopes the National Guard will help cut the illegal immigration and drug trafficking.

1 Comment

One Response to “The National Guard: At The Border?”

1. Carlos Lozano on April 13th, 2018 3:20 pm

I think this is a smart move until the wall is built. I am not against immigration. I am only against illegal immigration.

[Reply]

• The National Guard: At The Border?

High School Student Shoots Ex-Girlfriend after they Split Up

• The National Guard: At The Border?

Shooting at YouTube HQ

• The National Guard: At The Border?

Russian Spy from UK poisoned

• The National Guard: At The Border?

Family Car Plunges Off Cliff in Northern California

• The National Guard: At The Border?

The Space Force of America. Wait, What?

• The National Guard: At The Border?

March for Our Lives at Dana Middle School

• The National Guard: At The Border?

Teachers in West Virginia Strike for 9 Days for a 5% Raise

• The National Guard: At The Border?

An Update on North Korea’s Nuclear Program

• The National Guard: At The Border?

17 Dead After a Florida High School Shooting

• The National Guard: At The Border?

Deadly Russian Plane Crash

The National Guard: At The Border?