The Hate U Give Book Review

Isabella Terzoli, Staff Writer

Angie Thomas goes into the depths of racism showing the main character (Starr) following a protagonist drawn to activism after witnessing the police shooting of her unarmed friend. The Hate U Give is a young adult novel created by Angie Thomas. The Hate U Give is Angie Thomas’s first novel. Angie titled her book using Tupac Shakur’s “THUG LIFE” concept. People are calling Angie: The debut novelist who turned racism and police violence into a bestseller.

Angie Thomas, got the idea for The Hate U Give when she witnessed a young unarmed black man shot by a police officer. Shaken by the 2009 shooting of Oscar Grant, Thomas initially developed the project as a short story for her senior project in Belhaven University’s creative writing program. While writing the short story, the project quickly expanded, though Thomas temporarily put it aside after graduation; speaking to Ebony, Thomas noted the emotional strain of the subject matter.

The book debuted at the top of The New York Times young adult best-seller list and had 100,000 copies in print in the first month. Critics widely praised the book. In The Globe and Mail, Shannon Ozirny wrote, “Ignore the YA label – this should be the one book everyone reads this year.”

In Salon magazine, Erin Keane said the novel is “topical, urgent, necessary, and if that weren’t enough, it’s also a highly entertaining and engaging read.” In the Christian Science Monitor, Katie Ward Beim-Esche wrote, “Believe the hype: The Hate U Give, Angie Thomas’ extraordinary and fearless debut, really is that good.”

I enjoyed the way Angie was able to put her life into her book, she’s able to make real life problems more visible to younger people and shows  injustice to the life of the main character (Starr) and the death of her friends.

“I highly recommend this book because it talks about important issues in a way students understand, definite read for 8th grade students” says 6th Grade STEAM teacher, Ms. Benavidez.