Impeach Trump! Hold Up

Cole Bruhnke, Editor in Chief

After all of the alleged schemes involving President Trump and his campaign, some Americans are shouting “Impeach Trump!” Is this really realistic and if it is, would we want it?

The path to impeachment of the president is a long one. It starts in the House Committee of the Judiciary where, most likely, a special prosecutor or grand jury presents charges against the president. The committee will then vote whether impeachment may be even possible. If a majority votes yes, then Articles of Impeachment are written. The Committee approved 3 for President Nixon, 4 for President Clinton, and 11 for Andrew Johnson. These Articles are sent to the House of Representatives for a vote, where a majority is needed to impeach the president. This does not remove him/her from office; it is equivalent to presenting charges in a court.

The House Committee of the Judiciary

If the majority is achieved, then the Articles approved move to the Senate. If the Senate agrees with the House, then the president is removed from office. As this vote has serious consequences, the vote requires a ⅔ majority. This has never happened in American history.

All of this is based on Article Two of the United States Constitution, Section 4. “The President, Vice President, and all civil Officers of the United States shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other High Crimes and Misdemeanors.”

So, what are “High Crimes and Misdemeanors”? The first president to be impeached was Andrew Johnson, who became president after President Abraham Lincoln was assassinated. The main reason he was impeached was because he removed and replaced the Secretary of War without Congress’s consent.

The Impeachment of Andrew Johnson

Bill Clinton, the 42nd President, was mainly impeached for 2 reasons. Both of these reasons related to an investigation on the president’s affair with a White House intern and sexual harassment to multiple women. The first was perjury, which means lying under oath. He lied in court, saying that he didn’t have an affair. His other offense was obstruction of justice, which is trying to change the direction or outcome of an investigation. He attempted “to delay, impede, cover up and conceal the existence of evidence” according to his Articles of Impeachment.

President Nixon’s story is different. His Articles included abuse of power, obstruction of justice, and contempt of Congress. An investigation had been established to investigate why members of campaign had broken into a Democratic National Convention office building (known as the Watergate Scandal). The charges against the president were very serious and most agree he would have been the only ever president to be impeached. Knowing this, he resigned.

Image result for nixon resigns

Both Bill Clinton and Andrew Johnson were impeached, but acquitted (not removed from office) by the Senate. What are the actual chances that our current president will be impeached?

The potential Articles of Impeachment that are being considered against our president are obstruction of justice and collusion with a foreign country to influence an U.S. election. The president fired FBI director James Comey after he refused to stop the investigation into his campaign and collusion with Russia. If the president decides to fire the Special Prosecutor Robert Mueller who is conducting an investigation or Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein who overseeing the investigation, this argument may become more substantial.

As far as collusion is concerned, there is little evidence against the president himself. There is evidence that his son and son-in-law met with a few Russians on the topic of information exchange relating to Hillary Clinton. The man who arranged the meeting, Rob Goldstone, said that the Russian Government was involved. It is disputed whether the president was aware of this meeting. A campaign advisor, George Papadopoulos, also had meetings with a professor who had ties to the Russian Government.

The Email sent to Donald Trump Jr. from Rob Goldstone said, “Emin just called and asked me to contact you with something very interesting. The Crown prosecutor of Russia met with his father Aras this morning and in their meeting offered to provide the Trump campaign with some official documents and information that would incriminate Hillary and her dealings with Russia and would be very useful to your father. This is obviously very high level and sensitive information but is part of Russia and its government’s support for Mr. Trump – helped along by Aras and Emin.”

If the president is impeached on one or both of these charges and removed from office, Vice President Mike Pence will take his place, as long as he isn’t involved as well. Of course, if the president is unfit for office or commits crimes then he should be removed, but would the American people really want Mike Pence to be president? His positions on climate change, LBGTQ rights, transgender people’s rights, and military admittance might make Americans think twice.

Vice President Mike Pence

“Most climatologists agree that, at best, global warming is a theory about future climatic conditions and cannot be proven based upon the historic record.” Pence also called climate change “a myth”. It’s very clear that he doesn’t believe in climate change. If our president doesn’t believe in it, there is less of a chance that anything will be done to solve it.

When it comes to LGBTQ rights, our Vice President isn’t satisfactory. As a congressman, he supported using money to help people change themselves from gay to straight. He also passed a law in Indiana that allowed businesses to claim that their religion prevented them from serving the LGBTQ community.

“In the state of Indiana, marriage is recognized as between a man and a woman, and I think that’s how it should remain.” Pence said. “Let us say “yes” very humbly today to the marriage as traditionally defined. Let us say “no” to activist courts bent on redefining it.”

When Congress was considering laws against transgender discrimination, he said “Congress should oppose any effort to recognize homosexuals as a “discreet and insular minority” entitled to the protection of anti-discrimination laws similar to those extended to women and ethnic minorities.” He also opposed a directive that President Obama imposed that said schools should let transgender students use the restrooms of the gender that they identify with.

In the military, Mike Pence has made it clear that he thinks women and homosexual people should not be allowed. He attacked the Disney film Mulan: “I suspect that some mischievous liberal at Disney assumes that Mulan’s story will cause a quiet change in the next generation’s attitude about women in combat and they just might be right.” he said. “Moral of story: women in military, bad idea.” He also said that homosexual people are “incompatible” with the military, and that their existence within the troops “weakens unit cohesion.”

So, does Mike Pence’s beliefs and ideas sound better to you than our current president’s? Even if Donald Trump was impeached and removed from office, would his replacement be better for the country?

Cole Bruhnke, Editor-in-chief
Cole Bruhnke is a 8th grader here at Dana Middle School. He’s been here at Dana since 6th grade. His favorite theme park is Universal Studios  even though he’s never been much of a theme park person, the thing he likes the most there is Harry Potter World. His favorite subject is life science. His...
1 Comment

One Response to “Impeach Trump! Hold Up”

1. Carlos Lozano on May 15th, 2018 3:04 pm

No, Trump made a speech for LGBT community and he made it clear that he cares about them.

• Impeach Trump! Hold Up

Opinion

What Impacts Does Social Media Truly Have on Society?

• Impeach Trump! Hold Up

Opinion

Trick or Treating: Is It safe?

• Impeach Trump! Hold Up

Opinion

How Terrorism Has Affected The Modern Day USA

• Impeach Trump! Hold Up

Opinion

Should Our Bladders Have A Limit?

• Impeach Trump! Hold Up

Opinion

Why Are People Burning Their Nikes?

• Impeach Trump! Hold Up

Opinion

America: The Only Rich Country That Doesn’t Have Universal Healthcare

• Impeach Trump! Hold Up

Opinion

Are Movies and Music Too Explicit for Teens?

• Impeach Trump! Hold Up

Opinion

Horror Movies Are Getting Scarier Everytime One Comes Out

• Impeach Trump! Hold Up

Opinion

Struggles Of A Kpop Idol

• Impeach Trump! Hold Up

Opinion

Guide For Incoming STEAM 6th Graders

Impeach Trump! Hold Up