The San Pedro Fish Market; Best Seafood in Town!

Eeva Sogliuzzo, Staff Writer

If you live in San Pedro, you have probably heard about the iconic San Pedro Fish Market. It is in the top ten of the most followed restaurants on Instagram in the entire country. It has gained worldwide recognition for their amazing fish that is locally sourced, and will soon be opening two new Grilles!
The San Pedro Fish market was founded by Mackey Ungaro, along with his nephew Tommy Amalfitano. They opened their restaurant to their first location in 1956, it was named Vista Seafood.

In the late 60’s, they relocated to the beautiful waterfront and was soon renamed to ‘The San Pedro Fish Market and Restaurant.’ Few generations later, they still make great, fresh seafood that you can enjoy with your friends and family.

The current owners have an award winning series of episodes called ‘Kings of Fish.’ In this docudrama, they document the fish market’s everyday operations as a part of Los Angeles. It’s a hilarious, but real, point of view from behind the scenes of one of the biggest restaurants on the West Coast. It helps you get to know the owner’s personalities and how they interact with one another. Feel free to click ‘King’s of Fish’ to watch these episodes if you are interested!

STEAM 6th graders, Eeva Sogliuzzo and Ginny Washiya meet with SPDM owners to discuss what it takes to run a business.

In my interview with Michael Ungaro, he mentioned a rather, amusing story. When his dad used to make lunch for all the employees, there was a vendor that would sometimes make a delivery while they were eating and would help himself to the food without even asking. So, Henry, one of the owners of SPFM, had some XXXX hot sauce, “One drop is like an atomic bomb” Says Mike. Henry made a plate for the vendor and put a bunch of that extreme hot sauce on the meal. The guy tasted it and and he couldn’t handle the heat, “How are you guys dealing with this?! It is so spicy!” He never helped himself to their food again… but that’s not the funny part. Tommy Amalfitano walked in after this and did the same thing! “Tommy is notorious for eating other’s food without asking,” says Mike. He played it off as if everything was fine and slowly walked away until he was out of sight.

Then he sprinted into the walk-in cooler and guzzled down a bunch of milk! He was known as the bonus victim.
The SPFM is currently opening two new grilles, one in Palos Verdes and one in Harbor City. The Grille that will be in PV is opened in April, as for the Harbor City location opened on May 5th. These will be a great addition to the SPFM, and has great convenience to locals in ‘next door’ cities.

The SPFM seems very interesting and fun to be employed at, they work so hard and make locally sourced and sustainable meals for you and your families to enjoy. The SPFM is doing great with the ports o’ call closing and I hope it stays that way. If you love any kind of fish, you’ll love the San Pedro Fish Market!

Eeva Sogliuzzo, Staff Writer

Eeva Sogliuzzo is a journalism student here at Dana Middle School. Before Eeva came to Dana she went to Crestwood from Kindergarten to 3rd grade, but for...

1 Comment

One Response to “The San Pedro Fish Market; Best Seafood in Town!”

1. sophie on May 15th, 2018 11:47 am

great artical Eeva!

• The San Pedro Fish Market; Best Seafood in Town!

Features

Pegasus: A Series That Will Make Your Mind Soar

Features

Company Defy Media Shuts Down

Features

Book Review: When You Reach Me

Features

Real Life Mario Kart Ride At Universal Parks And Resorts

Features

Christmas Traditions Around the World

Features

Review: A Series of Unfortunate Events

Features

Pacific Diner: A Classic San Pedro Restaurant

Features

The Best Ramen Spot in Torrance: Ko-Ryu Ramen

Features

A Heartbreaking Novel, Eleanor & Park, Will Sure Bring Tears To Your Eyes

Features

Marvel: A Brief History