Parents Use Children To Carry Out Bombs

Surabaya+Center+Pentecostal+Church+East+located+in+Java%2C+Indonesia+engulfed+in+flames.+Photo+courtesy+of+The+New+York+Times.+

Parents Use Children To Carry Out Bombs

Surabaya Center Pentecostal Church East located in Java, Indonesia engulfed in flames. Photo courtesy of The New York Times.

Aytana Martinez, News Editor

In the Indonesian city of Surabaya, three churches were bombed on Sunday May 13, 2018. All three of the bombings were carried out by three families-including their young children. In the latest attack on Monday, May 14, a family of five rode their motorcycles to the front gate of Suburbia’s police headquarters before detonating the bombs on the cycle, injuring ten people.

On Tuesday, police have identified the couple as Tri Motiono and his wife, Tri Ernawati. The couple was accompanied with their sons, aged 18 and 14, and their 8-year-old daughter. One of the other families had children aged 9 and 12 years old. The third family drove a Toyota minivan with a bomb inside to the attack site.

One suicide bomber was reportedly disguised as a church goer. Earlier reports indicated that at least 12 people were pronounced dead and 41 people, including police officers, were injured and hospitalized, according to a police spokesperson who was on the case.

The police there are blaming an Islamic-State inspired network. Video footage of the last attack shows a two motorcycles stopping at a checkpoint just before the blast. An 8-year-old girl that was wedged between her parents on their motorcycle appears to have survived the explosion. The video footage shows her stumbling around after the blast before a pedestrian picks her up and brings her to safety.

The Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attacks according to the group’s news agency. Six of the suicide bombers died. In another longer media release, the Islamic State identified the three ways of the bomber’s attack; a car bomb, a suicide vest, and a motorcycle-borne bomb.

Police have not yet found the cause of action to these attacks, but we do know that it was ISIS inspired. For now, we will just have to wait and see what the 8-year-old girl has to say about the incident, and maybe she will be the key to finding out just why exactly a family would bring their children to a suicide bombing.

Aytana Martinez, Editor-In-Chief

Aytana Martinez is an 8th grader in the STEAM Magnet program at Dana middle School. Aytana has one sister that goes to Dana. Aytana’s hobbies are to...