GSA: Gay-Straight Alliance Comes to Dana

Gay-Straight Alliance logo and catch phrase.

Cole Bruhnke, Editor in Chief

Dana Middle School has a new club that plans to have one more meeting this year and continue on next year. It was long debated whether Dana should have it,  but Ms. Kremenetsky and Ms. McNeny decided on sponsoring Dana Middle School’s first GSA Club.

GSA, or Gay-Straight Alliance, originally started in 1998. GSA has evolved to include people in schools of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions to create a safe place for people to talk and address problems regarding inequality and representation. Open to both queer, straight, and cisgendered people, the association is a great start to inform students and spread awareness of the LGBTQ+ community. Now, there are over 4000 GSA clubs in the United States.

One of the founders of GSA at Dana, Ms. McNeny, said, “Dana needs a GSA club because even though today’s world is evolving and I feel like there’s more equality and tolerance and acceptance occurring in our world, there’s still a lot of hate out there and I think that kids need that added support to let them know that they are not alone and things get better.”

Ms. Kremenetsky agreed, saying that Dana needs a GSA club “to support students with diverse identities. To make sure that all students feel supported and to make sure that each person knows that equality, respect, and diversity are important to our campus.”

Ms. McNeny shared a personal experience of when a student came out to her and looked to her for support. “My very first year teaching, I was fortunate that a young man, a boy, he not only opened up to me of that, he also opened up to me about his attempts to take his life because of it. What was so magical about that moment that was there was an autistic student that was standing with me when that student came out to me, and the autistic student, it brought him out of himself. He put his arm around the other kid, and said, do you know people are biased against me for different reasons too, and there are people like me that care and want to help you.”

The GSA club hopes to help people like this student, bring students together, and try to fix the problems with our school.

There are 2 overruling rules that both teachers wished to point out relating to the club. The first is that the club is not a place where you are expected to come out about your identity. Ms. Kremenetsky mentioned that “the primary goal is not for people to come out now. The primary goal is for people to just feel supported in who they are. In fact, our number one rule in GSA is that we don’t ask people about their identity because when they are ready to share, they will share on their own.”

The other rule is that the teachers will provide help and advice, but the students will come up with the main ideas and plans.

“We are hoping that the club will be more student guided. The students are going to come up with ideas to try to create some awareness on campus about issues that specifically impact students that are questioning their sexuality or learning about their identity.” said Ms. Kremenetsky. “One of the ideas that was brought…was creating t-shirts to raise awareness, and getting sixth graders and eighth graders more involved in the GSA activities. We are hoping that instead of us driving it, the students can come together and brainstorm some projects that they can do.”

The main words that the club is associated with are visibility, support, and equality. Visibility is making it clear what is wrong with our school in relation to LGBTQ+ discrimination and prejudice. Support means to help people who are affected by this problem, and allow them to express their feelings. Lastly, equality is acting on these problems and trying to make straight and LGBTQ+  people more equal.

If you believe in this idea and want to help out, there is supposed to be one more meeting this year. Feel free to attend!

Cole Bruhnke, Editor-in-chief
Cole Bruhnke is a 8th grader here at Dana Middle School. He’s been here at Dana since 6th grade. His favorite theme park is Universal Studios  even though he’s never been much of a theme park person, the thing he likes the most there is Harry Potter World. His favorite subject is life science. His...
1 Comment

One Response to “GSA: Gay-Straight Alliance Comes to Dana”

1. Bruce on August 23rd, 2018 10:43 am

This is perfect!!! This is a great way for people with different sexualities to feel accepted in our community, I’m proud of Dana.

• GSA: Gay-Straight Alliance Comes to Dana

#CancelKavanaugh: Country Outraged With Sexual Misconduct Allegations

Where is Blu? Where are the Blue Macaws going?

The Sentencing of Bill Cosby

SiriusXM is buying Pandora for $3.5 billion

Instagram Founders Resign From Their Jobs After 8 Years

Pewdiepie Has Competition In His Youtube Career

A Possible Solution to Ocean Pollution

President Obama Hits the Campaign Trail to Support Democrats

Oldest Animal Fossil in the World

Is This the End of YouTube?