Tips To Help You Survive 8th Grade

Paul Armendariz, Staff Writer

(This article is aimed at the graduating class of 2019, AKA the current 7th graders and upcoming 8th Graders )

So. You’re gonna be in 8th Grade. You’ve made it! You’ve reached the top of the totem pole! You now have the privilege of…being older than others! Congratulations!

All jokes aside, being an 8th Grader is honestly pretty cool. There are lots of things to participate in school-wise, as well as a bit more freedom. You will also (hopefully) become more mature, and lots of responsibility will be placed upon your shoulders. It might be somewhat stressful, but the good definitely outweighs the bad.

Luckily for you, I’m here to give a few tips that will help your 8th Grade year be a good one.

Hang Out With Friends. While it may seem like you have lots of time to do this, the school-year will be over before you know it. It is highly unlikely that all of your friends will go to the same High School, so you’ll want to spend as much time with your friends ad possible. Talk with them in your freetime, plan after school hangouts, host parties and invite them all to it, etc. Losing some of your friends is basically inevitable, so it’s best to just have as much fun as you can while you can.

Image result for friends

Make good with everybody. You don’t want the person you hated in 8th grade wind up being the person you loathe in High School. The solution: try to become friends with them. It won’t be easy, but it’s good to clear up the things that made you despise them in the first place. Maybe you’ll end up going to High School with an even bigger group of friends.

Avoid Drama. Sure, as a 7th grader, you’ve gotten your share of it. But 8th grade just gets a whole lot worse. Everyone’s so focused on who said what and who’s dating who, that you really forget that you’re in a place of learning. While it may be hard, it’s really best to ignore all of it- knowing the latest gossip will not help you culminate, remember that.

Image result for drama

Get good Grades. Your 8th grade year is the most important in middle school, as the high school you attend will most likely look at how you did this school year. Unfortunately, many tend to slack off in 8th grade, thinking that not doing your assignments makes you “cool”. Sadly, being cool won’t get you through school, so you’re gonna want to be at least some effort into getting decent grades.

In all, it really isn’t that hard- You can get straight D’s and still culminate. But I’m sure you’ll want to get better than that, so do your best. (Remember that there’s always extra credit when things get scarce!)

Image result for good grades

Don’t over-stress yourself. I know I just told you to get good grades, but being too big a hard-worker can have some negative impacts. Trying to get those perfect grades by doing everything assigned really gives you a lot of stress and anxiety, and can make you quite antisocial. You’ll have to understand that you wont be able to keep up with the overbearing amount of assignments your teachers give you, and it’s unhealthy to even try. Missing one or two things won’t extremely harm your grade, so don’t worry about it. I guarantee that as long as you do your best, you’ll succeed.

Image result for stressed

Find new interests. Finding new things you like will help you become a better. Look into new bands, series’, hobbies, etc- you’re bound to become obsessed over something. You might even meet new people and make more friends with your new interests, which is always a win.

Image result for hobbies

Participate in school-events. 8th Graders have the opportunity to attend waaay more non-curricular events. Things like the 8th Grade Dance and the Disneyland trip are super fun, and can add a lot of excitement to your last year at Dana. Sure, they may cost a bit of money, but it’s definitely worth it.

Then, there are still regular events that were still there when you first came to Dana: The Holiday dances, open house, back-to-school night, etc. Make sure to attend all of these, as they’re really fun.

Image result for school dances

Have fun. I know that sounds super cliche, but it’s definitely something to keep in mind. You’re going to want to enjoy this year as much as possible, as what happens next is a mystery. It won’t be easy, but remember to always be yourself and look at the glass half-full, and enjoy every moment.

Image result for fun

I sincerely hope that these tips will help you enjoy your final year at Dana. Best of luck to you all, soon-to-be 8th Graders!

-Paul 🙂