4 Things To Be and Not To Be Worried About in Middle School

For Incoming 6th Graders

Cole Bruhnke, Editor in Chief

Everybody thinks Middle School is this horrible place where all you can do is survive until the end. That’s only partly true. Here’s some tips about what you should be and things you shouldn’t worried about.

Reading:

To keep your grade up in English class, you must do this thing called SRC or Scholastic Reading Counts. It’s basically a 10 question multiple choice test on the computer about a book that you read. Depending on you teacher, whether you do it or not can have a huge impact on your grade. On the other hand, it’s the easiest way to get extra credit. Read 15 books and you’re set for the semester. If you start reading regularly, you will probably find it a whole lot more interesting. If you think every book is boring, you are wrong.

Friends:

You want to have people you know already, in the first week of school especially. You need someone to hang out with as you get your bearings. Don’t feel limited to only the people you already know later on though. It’s always great to make new friends, and the more friends you have, the less chance you have of ever being awkward or lonely.

After School Time:

There are a couple of ways that you can occupy yourself after school. You can play on a local sports team, join Robotics, or play video games. Just make sure you don’t take up all of your after school time with these activities or you won’t get your homework done or spend time with friends. If you feel overloaded at night with homework (which is unlikely at Dana), try try-harding in class. I find that I can get both my classwork and my homework done in class if I really focus.

Your Relationship With Your Teachers:

You always want to have a good relationship with your teachers because you will be spending over one hundred 50-minute periods with them. Sometimes if teachers catch you doing something bad or you get them angry in some way, they will always be biased against you. You don’t want this because then they are more likely to blame you and more easily angered by you. Also, if teachers like you, you get to know the better side of them. You will hardly ever have to experience the mad-at-students side.

NOT TO WORRY ABOUT:

PE Locker Rooms:

When I heard that I had to change clothes in front of other people, I freaked out. Turns out, it’s really not that big of a deal. Everybody knows that they are just as vulnerable to the same pranks or getting picked on, so they aren’t offensive. The worst things you will face in the locker rooms are body odor, forgetting your locker combination, and profanity.

Homework:

Most students at Dana Middle School agree that the Homework isn’t that bad. If they are complaining, it’s probably because they procrastinated to the last minute. The longest time I’ve ever had to spend on one night of homework that wasn’t because of procrastination is 1 hour. That’s another thing. If your teacher gives you 1 week to work on a project, don’t procrastinate to the last second. Not only will you have loads of work to do on the project and won’t turn as quality as it could have been, you might get more work from other teachers. If you want to have a life outside of school and homework, don’t procrastinate.

Your Elective Choice:

Your elective is hypothetically supposed to be your favorite class because it is what you enjoy. So relax while picking it, and know that if you get your choice you will have fun. There are loads of choices of electives, and one of them you must enjoy doing, whether it’s cooking, art, writing, photography, band, or leadership.

Health Class:

The infamous 7th grade Science has frightened middle schoolers for years. As someone who has experienced it, it’s really not so bad. There’s really only one week of awkwardness about….Anyways, that’s it. Oh also you get married for the egg baby project but again, only 1-2 weeks! The rest is fine, just the not awkward parts of your body, cells, genes, and animals!

Cole Bruhnke, Editor-in-chief

Cole Bruhnke is a 8th grader here at Dana Middle School. He’s been here at Dana since 6th grade. His favorite theme park is Universal Studios  even...