Where is Nemo? Pollution is Actually Killing Nemo

Fun+Fact%3A+all+clownfish+are+born+male+and+some+grow+bigger+and+become+females%2C+so+if+you%E2%80%99re+a+clownfish+you+would+want+to+be+a+female.+

Fun Fact: all clownfish are born male and some grow bigger and become females, so if you’re a clownfish you would want to be a female.

Isaac Sharp, Staff Writer

Some say pollution is one of man’s many flaws, that is true, because of pollution clownfish are now disappearing across the world. If you don’t know what clownfish are, they are a tropical fish, found across the world and were made famous by the Pixar movie Finding Nemo.  

You might wonder why or how this is happening; it is because of pollution and climate change. Although this isn’t affecting clownfish directly, it is affecting coral, the very homes of clownfish. For example, according to the National Ocean Service the death of coral is caused by many things such as: coastal development, deforestation, agricultural runoff, and oil and chemical spills. Also, climate change is a big issue, because of the rising temperatures across the world’s oceans the coral is bleaching or dying off.  In other words, according to CNN 10, a 10 minute video on recent news events, these clownfish are being stripped of their very homes, the coral.

There is also another reason why clownfish are disappearing. You may know the famous Pixar movie Finding Nemo? Well, right after that movie the demand for clownfish by aquarium enthusiasts increased rapidly, because of this the clownfish were collected across the world and still are today. In sum, these problems are causing extinction from overcollection and coral bleaching. The main way people are slowing this process is through the work of the organization, “Saving Nemo.” On their website you can read more and donate to the cause, using this link.

Credit to the Saving Nemo Photo Goes to Saving Nemo Organization

Credit to the Clownfish Photo Goes to Aquarium Gallery

15 Comments

15 Responses to “Where is Nemo? Pollution is Actually Killing Nemo”

1. Angelina on September 12th, 2018 11:08 am

I didn’t know that clownfish were born as male than become female but what has me wondering is how? Does it just happen? Also I hope that people open their eyes and help the ocean before it gets worse.

2. kid on September 12th, 2018 11:59 am

Can we get a rip in the chat for nemo

3. Johnny Garcia on September 12th, 2018 12:00 pm

Can we get a rip in the chat for my boy Nemo.

4. Anominus on September 12th, 2018 1:47 pm

R.I.P Nemo, 2003 to 2018 :,( you will be sorely missed.

5. Nikko Doughty on September 12th, 2018 2:06 pm

Poor Nemo 🙁

6. Nikko D on September 12th, 2018 2:12 pm

Poor Nemo

7. vios on September 12th, 2018 4:35 pm

i don’t want nemo to go extinct

8. Anthony Sereno on September 12th, 2018 4:37 pm

Nemo is gucci. I want him to live.

9. Layla Riddle on September 12th, 2018 7:52 pm

I hate it when people just don’t care!! >: P

10. Savannah cruz on September 13th, 2018 11:10 pm

They need to stop the pollution so Nemo can live on …

11. Isaiah Duenas on September 13th, 2018 11:39 pm

Nice article but clown fish aren’t the only fish that live in coral reefs there are many other fish species that are dealing with the same thing as nemo after all coral reefs are the foundation of the ocean’s food chain and millions of people depend of them as a food source and at least 19% of all the worlds coral reefs are already gone and if the oceans water keeps being polluted the way it already is a additional 15% of the corals reefs will die. Most people don’t realize that. Also about the saving nemo link why not have a website saving money for all endangered fish species especially the fish that are closer to extinction than clownfish. Is it just because how much clown fish are adored? most likely isn’t it. To stop Amphiprioninae fish from going extinct the US should ban movement of harvesting fish because in places where they catch coral reef fish for the pet trade they use chemicals to catch the fish but when the chemicals are applied it can kill fish and also corals.

12. Isaiah Duenas on September 13th, 2018 11:53 pm

Nice article but Amphiprioninae fish aren’t the only fish going extinct there are many other coral reef fish that are dealing what clown fish are dealing with. If the US were to ban harvesting clown fish it’ll be a lot better because in places people collect coral reef fish for the fish trade pour chemicals to stun the fish to make it easier for them to catch but the chemicals they use can kill fish and kill corals so if the world to open up and see what’s happening we can save all of these fish but the world’s coral reefs are already 19% gone and if we keep doing what we are doing today another 15% of the worlds corals will be gone in the next 20 years. These fish are absolutely amazing and don’t deserve to go extinct because of us humans. Millions of people depend on coral reefs as a food source and corals reefs are the foundation of the ocean. Not only amphiprioninae fish don’t deserve to go extinct but all endangered tropical coral reef fish don’t deserve to go extinct because it is not only Amphiprioninae fish that are endangered. Coral reefs are very important and we can’t let them all die off.

13. orlando adame on September 17th, 2018 11:25 am

rip nemo the little homie

14. next roy purdy on September 17th, 2018 4:28 pm

Can I get rip in the chat for nemo. fortnite must live on it is the only thing we can live off of now skreee

15. Ms. Lavia on September 18th, 2018 3:48 pm

Great job Isaac! I was riveted.

• Where is Nemo? Pollution is Actually Killing Nemo

13 Year Joins Gaming Group FaZe Clan

Los Angeles Rapper Nipsey Hussle Dead

Apple vs Spotify: A New Rivalry In Music Streaming

Community News

San Pedro Shootings Rattle Community

Automation VS Man: A Fight For The Community

Student Led Protests Highlight Climate Change

California’s Death Penalty

California’s Super Bloom

New Zealand Shooting

The High Cost of Privilege