Jacksonville Gaming Tournament Becomes Deadly

Police+cars+barricading+the+entrance+to+a+Jacksonville+gaming+tournament+after+a+mass+shooting+just+occurred.+Photo+courtesy+of+Charlotte+Kesl+for+the+New+York+Times.+

Police cars barricading the entrance to a Jacksonville gaming tournament after a mass shooting just occurred. Photo courtesy of Charlotte Kesl for the New York Times.

Samantha Brown, Editor-In-Cheif

On August 26th around 1:30 p.m., a mass shooting occurred at a video game tournament located at the Jacksonville Landing in Florida that killed three and injured eleven others.  

The police identified the shooter as 24-year-old David Katz. David Katz was reportedly the winner of the Madden NFL games championship last year. Madden NFL is basically an American fantasy football video game. Some of the top gamers can actually get paid for playing this game. After shooting for a few minutes, the Katz then shot himself with his own handgun.

Officers say that the gunman brought two handguns with extra ammunition to the landing. The police are not entirely sure how the Katz brought the handguns into the landing without anyone noticing the weapons.  Some people speculate that he was a gamer himself who just happened to have a gun on him, he got frustrated after losing a game, and started shooting. But, the true motive of Katz is still unknown.

Interestingly enough, surveillance videos show that Katz walked past a few restaurants full of customers on his way to the tournament without showing any aggression to any of the patrons. This leads the officers on the case to believe that Katz specifically targeted the gamers.

Jack Susnjar, an 8th grade student at Dana Middle School describes, “I feel that every major social event should have basic metal detectors and security to try and stop any massacre or violent scene from happening. Mass shootings have been an ongoing issue for the past couple of years and we need to stop these things from happening. It is truly sad to think that after all that our country has been through regarding mass shootings in the past, nothing is changing for the better.”

Just when we thought that the dozens and dozens of shootings in the U.S. were done for, another shooting rolls right into us, knocking everyone off of their feet. Now is the time for all of America to mourn the losses of the two people killed in this shooting and the many injured. Now is the time to reflect on how we as a whole can strengthen our gun laws to protect the American people.

Samantha Brown, Editor-in-Chief

Samantha Brown is an 8th grade STEAM Magnet student here at Dana Middle school. This is her second year in Journalism. She is the Co-Editor-in-Chief of...