Why You Should Consider Cornell University

Emery Jovel, Features Editor

If you’re looking for a university that is one of the top colleges in America, that was founded in 1865, is located in the Big Apple, and is a private Ivy League school, then Cornell University is just the school for you. If you haven’t considered Cornell or you’ve never even heard of the school, then don’t stop. Keep reading.

To start, the University was founded by Ezra Cornell and Andrew Dickson White. The campus overall is 745 acres large and is located in Ithaca, New York. According to the school’s official website, in 2018, the school was ranked number fourteen in ‘National Universities.’ Cornell University has been described as a truly American University due to the founders, Ezra Cornell and Andrew Dickson White, who saw a vision of higher education for the students who decide to attend. The school’s mission is to discover, preserve, disseminate knowledge, and to make creative work. Cornell University is able to create a unique atmosphere where everyone has the opportunity to research, to teach, and to engage inside the classroom. Some of the departments or fields of study, if you would like to call it are the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, Cornell SC Johnson College of Business, College of Engineering, College of Human Ecology, and Cornell Law School.  

You may be wondering why Cornell caught my eye. You might think that it’s because it’s one of the top schools in the United States or it could be because of their programs and what they have to offer. And it’s one of the reasons why, but it’s not the complete truth. My older sister, Jessica Jovel, who is an electrical engineer attended Cornell University while blossoming into adulthood.

Jessica Jovel described Cornell, “If you were to overlook the background, there’d be rivers, there’d be trees, and it’s just a really beautiful campus.” Jessica really enjoyed the school’s appearance and when she got accepted, her major was electrical and computer engineering. She wanted to study in that field because she enjoyed math and because dad would share his knowledge about that with her and so she decided to have a job in that for the rest of her life.

Jessica shared that she enjoyed her time at Cornell University because, “They just had a different atmosphere than from what I’m used to. It’s a small college town, it’s beautiful, it’s historical, it was very different from Los Angeles.” She also described that she really liked Cornell because of the students who came from around the world and how it was, “great to meet people from different cultures, that I wouldn’t have been exposed to if I have stayed home.” And when I asked the big question to my sister, whether she regretted going to Cornell or not, she said that she didn’t regret it. She says that she has made the right choice in attending that college because of her longing from wanting to discover and wanting to get out of her comfort zone. Because of that difficult decision which will happen to us sixth, seventh, and eighth graders at some point, it helped shaped her into the person she is today.

So, if you do decide that Cornell may be the school fit for you, then I’d say you should use your time wisely because Cornell University isn’t an easy school to get into. If you were not convinced about going to Cornell, then that’s ok, there are a lot of good schools out there in America. Either way, whether you were convinced or not, I’d say you have a bright future ahead of you.