Serena Williams Fined

Serena Williams Fined

Alyssa Mack, Business Manager

On Saturday, September 8th, at Arthur Ashe Stadium, in NY, tennis all star, Serena Williams was penalized and fined at the U.S. Open Final.

She was fined for violating 3 different codes. She smashed her racket on the ground after being called out for her coach allegedly coaching her. She also yelled at the umpire, Carlos Ramos, saying, “You owe me an apology. I’ve never cheated in my life. I have a daughter and stand for what’s right for her.” She also started calling him a thief and sexist for “taking the game.”

Serena Williams yelling at umpire, Carlos Ramos

Later in the press conference, Serena explains herself, “I’ve seen other men call other umpires several things. I’m here fighting for women’s rights and for women’s equality. For me to say ‘thief’ and for him to take a game, it made me feel like it was sexist.”

There was a lot of debating on if this behavior was standing up for women rights or being a poor sport. 7th grade STEAM students, Katherine Ethridge and Kaz Amano think she was standing up for her rights. Katherine says, “I think that she was just fighting for women’s rights because some men have done that too and there coaches have given them hand signals and stuff and they haven’t gotten called out it.” Kaz explains, “He did come off a little sexist because I don’t know if it happens at other women’s game but it doesn’t happen in men’s games so it just does come off  as sexist.”

Tennis champ, Martina Navratilova, is on the other side, saying, “We cannot measure ourselves by what we think we should also be able to get away with. In fact, this is the sort of behaviour that no one should be engaging in on the court.” Teacher here at Dana, Mr. Seiple, has a different point of view but thinks Serena overreacted, “I do have a problem with that, she turned it into, men aren’t treated this way, when you look at the statistics and you look at the New York Times article and men have been penalized as well.”

Whatever you think was the right or wrong thing to do, she still violated the 3 codes and was fined $17,000.