#CancelKavanaugh: Country Outraged With Sexual Misconduct Allegations

Supreme Court nominee Judge Brett Kavanaugh giving his opening statement in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Thursday, Sept. 27, 2018 on Capitol Hill in Washington. (Saul Loeb/Pool Image via AP)

AP

Samantha Brown, Editor-In-Chied

DEVELOPING STORY

UPDATE:  Last weekend, Kavanaugh was sworn into the Supreme Court at a private ceremony. This decision was final, and he will now be a judge for life.

During the electoral process regarding Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, college Professor Christine Blasey Ford along with two other women came out and said that Kavanaugh allegedly sexually assaulted them; Ford and Kavanaugh both testified on  Thursday, September 27th in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

The thing that made this accusation so significant is that if Kavanaugh is still elected to the Supreme Court (a very elite committee of people), he will be there for the remainder of his life, or until he chooses to retire. In fact, it is so elite that not only does the candidate get chosen by the president, but the Senate also has to confirm his/her nomination with a majority vote. Also, the Senate is able to question anything they want to the nominee.

The Supreme Court is the highest judicial court in America. The Supreme Court can take part in hearing about cases that break any federal laws, including laws breaking the Constitution, and crimes involving a law/s of the Congress. Also, they have the power to create new laws or get rid of them. One of the biggest cases that the Supreme Court took on was when President Nixon was impeached.

The allegations of misconduct were from Christine Blasey Ford, Deborah Ramirez, and Julie Swetnick. All three of these women have accused Kavanaugh to have sexually assaulted them or witnessed him abuse others around the 1980’s at either college or high school parties. Swetnick says that she says Kavanaugh and his friends “drink excessively and engage in highly inappropriate conduct, including being overly aggressive with girls…” at many house parties.

During the hearing, Blasey gave a tearful and tragic explanation about what happened the day that would change her life for the worse forever. Kavanaugh has denied all claims in a very forceful manner during the hearing, and he also snapped at one of the senators. After 9 hours of testifying, the Senate Judiciary Committee came to a conclusion of 11-10. Now, all 100 senators will have to vote whether they believe Blasey or Kavanaugh.

Days after the hearing, Donald Trump posted the following tweet on Twitter, “Wow! Just starting to hear the Democrats, who are only thinking Obstruct and Delay, are starting to put out the word that the “time” and “scope” of FBI looking into Judge Kavanaugh and witnesses is not enough. Hello! For them, it will never be enough – stay tuned and watch!”

Mariah Jimenez, a current 8th-grade student at Dana Middle School says, “Since people are always in front of cameras and are being watched, it is very easy to point out small things or big things in this case.”

Over 321,500 men and women ages 12 or older are victims of sexual assault and 1 in 6 women have been sexually abused according to RAINN (Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network).

As the years go by, women feel more and more confident in letting their family, community, and even their country hear their heart-wrenching experiences with sexual assault. Instead of outcasting these people and inferring that they are lying for “attention” or “fame, we need to embrace them with open arms and help put these sexual assaulters where they belong; jail.

Samantha Brown, Editor-in-Chief

Samantha Brown is an 8th grade STEAM Magnet student here at Dana Middle school. This is her second year in Journalism. She is the Co-Editor-in-Chief of...

1 Comment

One Response to “#CancelKavanaugh: Country Outraged With Sexual Misconduct Allegations”

1. dewight durr on October 26th, 2018 10:11 am

Kavanaugh was not convicted of rape, why would a person wait so long to report a rape plus Christine Blasey Ford has change her story multiple times.

• #CancelKavanaugh: Country Outraged With Sexual Misconduct Allegations

Trump Tweeting on Global Warming

CNN Outraged As White House Takes Away Press Pass

The Death And Legacy of George H. W. Bush

38 Women of Color Took Their Seats in Congress

The Landing on Mars

Stan Lee Passes Away at 95

6ix9ine Gets Prosecuted

Creator of Spongebob Squarepants Dies at Age 57

Migrant Caravan Headed for US Border

Google Walkout, A Turning Point in Tech