Trick or Treating: Is It safe?

Trick or Treating: Is It safe?

Bryana Sirisute-Popejoy, Social-Media-Manager

Trick or Treating is something that some people would do during Halloween while going around places in costumes and get treats from houses. But the question is, is it safe?

Trick or treating began in the middle ages. children and sometimes adults who were poor, or not wealthy would dress up in costumes, also known as ‘guising’ back then, and go around door to door during Halloween begging for food or money in return for prayers and songs. Guising, which is from the word disguising, the practice or custom of disguising oneself in fancy dress, often with a mask, and visiting people’s houses during Halloween.

Nowadays, trick or treating is a fun activity that some people do in many countries. Just like the middle ages, people would go around to other people’s houses, but instead of asking for food or money, they’d ask for treats with the phrase “trick or treat.” But sometimes, trick or treating can go wrong. Things like getting hurt could possibly happen if you aren’t careful enough, or something that’s lesser violent then that. Here are some things that you should be aware of while trick or treating!

First off, crossing streets. While crossing, you should definitely be sure to wear some light clothing on you, since it’s gonna be a bit dark while trick or treating. Another thing while crossing roads, definitely look both ways while crossing. The reason why you should be aware of this is that of some data that was compiled by the National Safety Council finds that there were 6,700 pedestrian deaths during 2015. 17% of those involved in the deaths were rushing into intersections when they weren’t supposed to, and 15% were wearing dark clothing, and or having low lighting, making it probably hard for the driver to see people crossing. Another 15% of these deaths were kids ages 5-9 running into the street or intersection to go to another house to trick or treat.

Another thing to be aware of is going by yourself during trick or treating. Strangers could sometimes persuade you into going with them or anything that’s similar. Another thing is to be aware of your neighbors, just be sure you know or trust them. This may not sound as bad as crossing streets, but it can still be a bit dangerous and you’re also still able to get hurt. It’s probably recommended to go with an adult or some of your friends, and it’d be more fun since you’re around more people.

Another thing to be aware of is the candy and treats that you’re given while trick or treating. If you’re given homemade treats, there’s a chance you shouldn’t eat them since they may be contaminated unless you know or trust the person that gave it to you. Another thing would be items that are discolored, tiny tears in the candy wrapper, or just unwrapped treats. These things could possibly have been tampered with, but it is highly rare. But checking anyways would be a good idea since there could be a chance that it may have been tampered with.

7th grader STEAM student Layla Riddle, when asked if Halloween was fun for her replied with, “Yes, because we should all have fun with costumes and trick or treating, but stay cautious as well.”

To finish off, Halloween is fun and you should definitely go trick or treating, but, while trick or treating you should just be a bit careful.

Bryana Sirisute-Popejoy, Social Media Manager

Bryana Sirisute-Popejoy is a current 7th grade student in the Dana Middle School STEAM Magnet program. Before attending Dana Middle School, she went to...