Gwen Stefani: The Queen of Confessional Pop

Sydney Delgado, Staff Writer

Gwen Stefani is one of the most successful pop artists, from being the lead singer of the band No Doubt in the 1990s and had her own successful solo career shortly afterward.

The singer was born and raised in Fullerton, California on October 3rd, 1969. She was the second of four children. As a child Gwen Stefani was very creative from creating her own fashion pieces to learning how to sew from her mother. At school, writing was challenging because of her dyslexia and difficulty spelling. As for high school, she had been a member of the swim team and was a talented artist. In 1987, she graduated from Loara High School in Anaheim, California.

In the early 1990s, Gwen started her music career in the ska band No Doubt. She wrote most of No Doubt’s songs such as Bathwater, Beauty Contest, Cellophane Boy, Hella Good, and Dreaming the Same Dream. No Doubt had their first big success releasing the albums Tragic Kingdom in 1995 and Return of Saturn in 2000. As of 2004, the group split up to embark on their own solo work.

As a solo artist, Gwen Stefani quickly became the center of attention with her songs becoming huge hits. Her first album was L.A.M.B, which stands for Love Angel Music Baby and most of her most successful songs are on there such as, Hollaback Girl, Luxurious, Rich Girl, What Are You Waiting For, Cool, and Crash. Alongside her successful music career, Gwen launched her successful clothing lines L.A.M.B in 2004 and Harajuku Lovers following shortly after in 2005.

Throughout her entire career, Gwen Stefani has received a lot of awards. She has been selected for the Teen’s Choice awards three times for teen visionary, breakout female artist, and choice collaboration. In 2002, she received her first grammy award for best rap/sung performance. She’s also received awards for Best Selling Female Artists, Best Choreography, Top New Artist, and People’s Choice Award for Favorite Female Artist. One of her greatest music accomplishments was ‘Don’t Speak’, it was a part of the album Tragic Kingdom by No Doubt in 1995.

In 2000, Gwen Stefani was labeled the Queen of Confessional Pop by Rolling Stone magazine. A quote from the magazine, “Gwen Stefani, No Doubts’ lead singer and one of the few women on the planet who’s proven herself able to carry off fuchsia hair, has been on the road for most of 2000 in support of her band’s fourth album, Return of Saturn.”

A quote from Gwen Stefani herself is,”Being in a band you can wear whatever you want — it’s like an excuse for Halloween everyday. It was such a turning point to find that I had a talent and I had something to contribute, somewhere. At a certain point I’m going to want to have a family.” And towards her younger audience, she says “Act as young as you feel. You’re not getting older; you’re getting more entitled to your fabulous self.

Gwen Stefani is one of the most successful pop artists worldwide. Her songs are still streamed to this day and a part of musical career. Seventh grader Garran Smith, “2000s were more like pop and smooth unlike music nowadays because it’s like louder and dramatic then like back then. Gwen Stefani’s songs are an example of what the music used to be like.”