The Best of Disney Soon to be Remade

The Best of Disney Soon to be Remade

Eliana Flores, A&E Editor

Many companies have been remaking their old movies and bringing them to live action movies. But one company who stands out is Disney. If any of you guys pay attention to Disney’s reputation now a days, you would know that Disney has been re-making their classic movies for quite some time. I mean live, action movies. Let’s take a time travel back to 1996 with 101 Dalmations. It happens to be one of my favorite Disney movies, but watching Glenn Close as Cruella Deville was just awesome. But, the question is; how many live action movies are there going to be. Disney has announced that more live action movie are coming out. So, here are three Disney remakes that are in the process of coming out in 2019 alone.

The first Disney live action movie is Dumbo. This is a Disney classic about an Asian Elephant who is born with abnormally large ears, who gets teased by a group of kids. This gets him sent to the circus. Then everything changed when he realizes his ears are not so bad after all. When he learns that his ears can make him fly. This live action film is being directed by Tim Burton. Tim Burton is known for making movies such as The Nightmare Before Christmas, Beetlejuice, and even the new Alice in Wonderland back in 2010. So having said that, we all know that when Tim Burton is involved, you know the movie will be a great hit. Dumbo will be making its debut on March 25, 2019.

The next Disney film that is coming out is Aladdin. Another Disney classic, about a street rat named Aladdin, who falls in love with a disguised princess named Jasmine, soon to find a lamp that has a locked up genie inside, who grants Aladdin 3 wishes. Aladdin soon realizes there is evil locked up inside of the sultan’s palace targeting Princess Jasmine. The live action disney movie is directed by Guy Ritchie, and is coming out on May 24, 2019.

The last disney live action film is probably the most talked about yet. The Lion King. This is one of the most favorited disney classic yet. The Lion King is about a young lion named Simba who goes through the horror of witnessing his father’s, Mufasa’s death. Simba feels like he is the cause of Mufasa’s death, so he runs away from pride rock, meeting friends Pumba and Timon along the way, which leaves Simba’s uncle Scar in charge. After realizing that his home pride rock is being destroyed, Simba goes back to pride rock to take his place in The Circle of Life. This movie is being directed by Jon Favreau, and is coming out on July 19, 2019.

But, why is Disney remaking these classic tales. Well, according to Anna Leszkiewicz, publisher for News Statesman magazine, “Disney is undertaking a deliberate and extensive strategy of live-action remakes of nostalgic animated successes.”Their latest formula works in a similar way: take an old story which will appeal to children, their parents, and a generation of adults with a specific, nostalgic connection to one version (in these cases, Nineties babies). Bring a smattering of famous faces on board, plus an extra helping of action, some vaguely cheeky references, and the promise of 3D visuals. Then you have a Disney film that can extend beyond what can be fairly limiting Disney audience.”

But, some students here at Dana has other have preferred opinions on why Disney is remaking these classic tales. 7th grader Emery Jovel says, “I believe Disney is remaking these classic movies because they were such great hits and they want to make more money off of the movies.” 

In the end, Disney has been making movies for a long time, and they have all been box office hits. So, I am sure whatever other live action movies disney has in store for us they are gonna be great movies. 

Eliana Flores, A&E Editor

Eliana Flores, one of the many 7th grade students at Dana Middle School and one of the 25 students in Journalism is a second year Journalism student. Before...