Hurricane Michael’s Death Toll Rises To 26

Aytana Martinez, Editor-in-Chief

Almost a week after Hurricane Michael smashed into the Florida Panhandle, the full extent of the damage hasn’t fully been reported. Authorities reported on Saturday that the storm has taken the lives of 26 residents.

More than 150,000 people are without power. Drivers have been lining up for hours to get fuel to get to safer ground. Hurricane Michael was the third most intense storm to hit the US. Not everyone has seen what is left of their homes because the National Guard has to check ID’s before homeowners can see the damage that the hurricane has inflicted on their neighborhood.

More than 150,000 people are without power. Drivers have been lining up for hours to get fuel. Michael was the third most intense storm to hit the US. According to CNN, people are still finding bodies so authorities don’t know the exact death toll. Not everyone has seen what is left of their homes because the National Guard has to check ID’s before can see the damage that the hurricane has inflicted on their neighborhood.

While Florida has some of the strictest building codes, in Mexico Beach, Florida, most of the buildings there were obliterated. But in the Panhandle, where the hurricane’s damage is clearly at its worst, the codes are more loose, allowing construction that couldn’t withstand the 155 mph winds that Hurricane Michael brought.

Esther Aguayo, an 8th grader here at Dana, says, “I feel really bad for the people that live in Florida. I used to know a few people who lived there, but we lost touch.”

After Hurricane Andrew in 1992, Florida took a serious look at their building codes. In many areas in South Florida, the counties took to strict standards, requiring storm shutters and concrete block construction.

In the Florida Panhandle, the buildings are built only to sustain 130 mph winds, far below the 155 mph winds that came with Michael. Authorities are still securing the area so that homeowners will be able to see what’s left of their houses.

Although Hurricane Michael has done it’s damage, estimates report that it will take residents years to get back to normal.

Aytana Martinez, Editor-In-Chief

Aytana Martinez is an 8th grader in the STEAM Magnet program at Dana middle School. Aytana has one sister that goes to Dana. Aytana’s hobbies are to...