Some of the First Horror Films Ever Made

Kaitlyn Bolling, Staff Writer

Have you ever wondered what the first horror films ever were and when they were made, they date back hundreds of years ago with a certain purpose.

Le Manoir du diable” (The Devil’s Manor) by Georges Méliès created in 1896, was shot in his home’s garden located in Montreuil, Seine-Saint-Denis. It was intended to evoke amusement and wonder from its audiences, rather than fear. But it was marked as the first horror movie created because of the themes and characters. In his era, there were no credits given so most of the actors are anonymous. However, Jules-Eugène Legris who was one of the known actors, later became his second wife.

Also, everyone knows that “Dracula” is one of the most famous vampire movies but they don’t know that the first vampire movie ever made was “The Vampire” in 1913. It was created by Robert G. after he based it on the 1897 eponymous poem by Rudyard Kipling. The poem (Recessional) is a poem by Rudyard Kipling that was made for Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee, in 1897.

Der Student Von Prag created in 1913 by Danish directors Stellan Rye’s and Paul Wegener, was the first monster movie ever made. Der Student Von Prag (The student of Prague) was based on “William Wilson”, a short story by Edgar Allan Poe. It was created in Germany and released in August 22, 1913.

These movies were the first of their kind to accomplish great horror movies at their current era. An 8th grader named Ariana Ruiz stated,” I think movies have evolved because now we can use special effects and edits to make it better and more realistic”. Horror movies in their era had black and white screens and limited technology to create a truly amazing scene that puts you in that situation.

(Scene from “Le Manoir du diable”

But now scenes from modern horror movies use special effects and makeup to make the characters look more alive and realistic. These add-ons add an effect that places you in the scene of the moment and keep you at the edge of your seat.

(Scene from “It”)

Between the two films, horror movies have excelled over the years to open up a new gate of thrills to keep you at the edge of your seat. Since they now include more plot ideas, makeup uses, special effects, and mysteries to discover, actors and directors can make the scenes scarier.

1 Comment

One Response to “Some of the First Horror Films Ever Made”

1. Ms. Lavia on October 30th, 2018 11:41 pm

Fun subject! My favorite is the German expressionist film, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. 1920. They built the sets to have strange angles! Freaky!

• Some of the First Horror Films Ever Made

Features

Marvel: A Brief History

Features

The Power of Books

Features

Robots Are Helping Humanity

Features

Busy Bee: Are They the Best Subs?

Features

The History of Video Games

Features

Fallout 76 Preview

Features

Amuse Yourself at Knott’s Berry Farm

Staff Spotlight

Get To Know Mr. Nava

Features

Turtles All The Way Down: A Book That Will Make Your Head Spin

Features

Rap: A History and Culture