Google Walkout, A Turning Point in Tech

Google Walkout, A Turning Point in Tech

Bryana Sirisute-Popejoy, Social-Media Manager

On November 1st, 2018, more than 20,000 google employees around the world walked out of their offices at 11:10 am local time in protest of the company’s history of harassment, discrimination, and support for abusers.
Google workers from around the world had walked in protest of Google’s long history of harassment and discrimination. The walkout had included Google offices in 50 cities. From there, employees had walked out of their offices and went outside to protest, some employees even holding up signs saying, “Not Ok Google” or “Times up Tech.”

A woman holding up a sign saying, “Not ok Google.”

In London, some employees were suggested to put a flyer on their desk, saying ​“I’m not at my desk because I’m walking out in solidarity with other Googlers and contractors to protest against sexual harassment, misconduct, lack of transparency and a workplace culture that is not working for everyone.” ​The numbers of the people participating in the walkout makes up about 20% of Google’s total employees based on Alphabet’s third-quarter earnings report, and the could possibly go up as well. These numbers could go up more as nine offices haven’t yet given figures for the protest and more Google offices in Europe have some walkouts planned.figures for the protest and more Google offices in Europe have some walkouts planned.

Many employees who had participated at the Mountain View walkout had chanted “Women’s rights are workers rights,” and some wore blue ribbons in support of sexual harassment victims. The walkout also had an accompanying hashtag, which was #Metoo. The Me Too movement is a movement against sexual harassment and sexual assault. #MeToo spread virally in October 2017 as a hashtag that was used on social media in an attempt to demonstrate the widespread of sexual assault/harassment, especially counting at the workspace. The people who had organized the walkout, or walkouts, wrote in an opinion editorial page that they’re demanding company leadership to take concrete steps about this.
Ms. Traylor, who is a 7th-grade health teacher, said, “The way that the employees handled sexual harassment with a peaceful protest showed that they were united.” The way the employees had all protested together against the harassment had also brought them together.

Bryana Sirisute-Popejoy, Social Media Manager

Bryana Sirisute-Popejoy is a current 7th grade student in the Dana Middle School STEAM Magnet program. Before attending Dana Middle School, she went to...