Pittsburgh Synagogue Shooting: 11 Killed, 7 Injured

A Pittsburgh Police officer walks past the Tree of Life Synagogue and a memorial of flowers and stars in Pittsburgh on Sunday, Oct. 28, 2018, in remembrance of those killed and injured when a shooter opened fire during services Saturday at the synagogue. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar)

AP

AP

AP

Kaitlyn Bolling, Staff Writer

On October 27, 2018, during a Shabbat morning service and a bris that was being held, 49-year-old Robert Gregory Bowers went into the Tree of Life building in the Squirrel Hill neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and started the Synagogue shooting massacre.

An hour before the shooting occurred, Robert Gregory Bowers used the online social network Gab to post on the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society (HIAS) that, “HIAS likes to bring invaders in that kill our people. I can’t sit by and watch my people get slaughtered. Screw your optics, I’m going in.” Part of the reason why he went after the Tree of Life is that they support the HIAS program. 11 people were killed and 7 people were injured during the deadliest attack on the Jewish community so far in the United States.

The authorities said Mr. Bowers was armed with an AR-15-style assault rifle and at least three handguns when attacking the Jewish community. They also said that when he entered the building, he yelled: “All Jews must die”. Robert was charged that Saturday evening with 29 federal crimes and 36 state criminal crimes.

During the scene of the crime, Bowers shot two officers that were there and retreated to the third floor of the building. The shooting got so bad that the SWAT team was involved and had medics take 2 victims, one boy, and one girl, to the UPMC Presbyterian Hospital for treatment.

Bowers only stopped shooting when he was injured by the exchange of the firearms between him and the cops and was taken into custody later that evening.

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders denounced that Saturday’s deadliest attack victims “represented the very best of our nation.” An 8th grader at Dana Middle School, Adrianna Garcia stated “I think it’s horrible that in modern day society, things like racism still occur. Moments like these will go down in history.”

Bowers now will spend his days behind bars at The Butler County Prison, waiting to be put on trial.

Kaitlyn Bolling, Staff Writer

Kaitlyn Bolling is a Journalism student here at Dana Middle school Honor Roll Program. Kaitlyn is currently in 8th grade. She attended Barton Hill for...