A Heartbreaking Novel, Eleanor & Park, Will Sure Bring Tears To Your Eyes

Emery Jovel, Features Editor

Eleanor & Park is a heart-warming, romantic novel written by #1 New York Times Bestselling author, Rainbow Rowell, who published this amazingly crafted novel in the year of 2012. Filled with tear-jerking moments, humor, love, and both good and bad experiences, this book will sure show readers how it feels to be in love for the first time.

The book takes place from 1986 through 1987 in Omaha, Nebraska, at a local high school. A girl with curly red hair, Eleanor, meets dark hair Asian boy, Park, for the first time on their high school bus. And in the blink of an eye, end up sitting together, trying to avoid eye contact. As the days go by, both Eleanor and Park both go from avoiding eye contact, to giving each other comic books, to actually making conversation, to becoming a couple. But of course, all couples need to face their own adversities. Eleanor needs to face her home life nightmare with her alcoholic stepdad and a mother who only does what Eleanor’s step dad says. Park, on the other hand, has to face tough love between his dad, and has a loving mother who is a beautician. Will these star-crossed lovers be able to continue together, or will their love be torn apart?

Eleanor & Park is the first YA book (Young Adult) that Rainbow Rowell has published. Rainbow Rowell decided to write a novel about first love because she wanted, “To give them a realistic view of it. If they’re young and never been in love, for them to know – yes this is how it feels. And if they’re older and they have, to feel it as a sense of memory.” What Rainbow Rowell enjoyed most about writing her novel was making the characters very intensely and very realistic, as if they actually existed in real life.

When I asked STEAM 7th grader, Isabella Hernandez, about her opinion on books about young love, she thought, “I think it’s really interesting and also really powerful.” So, young adult books, like Eleanor & Park, are books that is interesting and powerful in some ways, as Isabella described. Even famous authors, such as John Green and Gayle Forman, love the novel from Rainbow Rowell. John Green stated that this book, “Reminded me not just what it’s like to be young and in love with a girl, but also what it’s like to be young and in love with a book.” Whereas, Gayle Forman describes, “This sexy, smart, tender romance thrums with punk rock and true love.”   

Some of the books accomplishments include the Michael L. Printz Award, an Indie’s Choice Best Young Adult Book of the year, a Goodreads Choice Awards Best Young Adult Book of the year, a New York Notable, and so many others. Rainbow Rowell is surely an intelligent, powerful writer, who puts a lot of dedication in her writing.

Eleanor & Park is an novel about an imperfect, but unforgettable love, written by an imperfect but unforgettable author. Love is something that needs to be cherished. And this book demonstrates that kind of emotion about loving someone so much. It is an honest, vivid, and captivating novel where it shows readers the story of a girl with curly hair and a boy who is Asian.  

Emery Jovel, Features Editor

Emery Jovel is a 7th grade Journalism student attending Dana Middle School. Before she came  to Dana Middle school she attended Point Fermin Elementary....

1 Comment

One Response to “A Heartbreaking Novel, Eleanor & Park, Will Sure Bring Tears To Your Eyes”

1. Ms. Lavia on December 11th, 2018 3:47 pm

I LOVE this book!!!!! Great review!

• A Heartbreaking Novel, Eleanor & Park, Will Sure Bring Tears To Your Eyes

Features

Pegasus: A Series That Will Make Your Mind Soar

Features

Company Defy Media Shuts Down

Features

Book Review: When You Reach Me

Features

Real Life Mario Kart Ride At Universal Parks And Resorts

Features

Christmas Traditions Around the World

Features

Review: A Series of Unfortunate Events

Features

Pacific Diner: A Classic San Pedro Restaurant

Features

The Best Ramen Spot in Torrance: Ko-Ryu Ramen

Features

Marvel: A Brief History

Features

The Power of Books