Bohemian Rhapsody: Movie Review

Courtesy of Detroit News

Courtesy of Detroit News

Denis Mardesich, A&E Editor

On November 2nd, 2018 Bohemian Rhapsody hit theatres, at its core the film provides a brief history of the band Queen, leading up to their ultimate performance at the Live Aid concert and covering the peak moments along the way, but as a film, does it still hold up?

Well to put it simply, yes. As a film Bohemian Rhapsody has a whole lot going for it, including a stellar cast, featuring actors such as Rami Malek as Freddie Mercury, Ben Hardy as Roger Taylor, Mike Meyers as Ray Foster, Joseph Mazzello as John Deacon, Gwilym Lee as Brian May, and Lucy Boynton as Mary Austin.

However compared to the rest of the cast, Malek definitely stands out in his performance as Freddie Mercury, who is quite a hard character play. However Malek manages to to knock this role out of the park, managing to not only completely personify Mercury, but he also has is own flair to the character. I especially enjoyed scenes where the film explored the creative process of not only Mercury, but of Queen as a whole.

Among students at Dana the film also seems to be pretty well received, for example, 7th grader Garran Smith says, “I think the best thing about the movie is the way it described Freddie Mercury’s life.” and, “I like the impact the movie had especially, towards the end of the film, where it chooses to deal with Freddie Mercury getting AIDS.” says William Sanchez.

The film also focuses on the relationship of Queen throughout the years, and from the beginning to the end the film does its best job to create a relationship between the band, covering it’s ups and downs throughout their legacy, however the film can get a little bumpy when it comes to more emotional scenes involving the band, however it nails emotional scenes involving the relationship between Freddie Mercury and Mary Austin.

However the most shining part of this movie, just like the band it’s based upon, is the music. The film especially shines in moments that incorporate music into them, with one of the best scenes in the film being based on the creation of hit song Bohemian Rhapsody. Scenes involving live performances also do an amazing jb encapsulating the livelihood that Queen portrays in almost every one of their songs.

All and all, Bohemian Rhapsody is a stellar film. One that does a great

job on almost every level, and even if it doesn’t it makes up for it with great music and performances. I recommend this film to not only just fans of Queen, but also just any old movie viewer that can enjoy a film that is extremely fun, but also unafraid to take itself seriously.

1 Comment

One Response to “Bohemian Rhapsody: Movie Review”

1. Barry on January 10th, 2019 12:55 pm

listen bruh…

• Bohemian Rhapsody: Movie Review

A&E

The Top Ten Rock Bands Of The 1980’s

• Bohemian Rhapsody: Movie Review

A&E

Captain Marvel Review

• Bohemian Rhapsody: Movie Review

A&E

Celebrity Spotlight on Solo Artist Sunmi

• Bohemian Rhapsody: Movie Review

A&E

Riverdale and Beverly Hills, 9021, Luke Perry Dies at 52

• Bohemian Rhapsody: Movie Review

A&E

The Jonas Brothers Are Back And Better Than Ever!

• Bohemian Rhapsody: Movie Review

A&E

How To Train Your Dragon The Hidden World Review

• Bohemian Rhapsody: Movie Review

A&E

What is a Concept Album?

• Bohemian Rhapsody: Movie Review

A&E

TXT: The Next Big Thing

• Bohemian Rhapsody: Movie Review

A&E

Pokemon Announces Their New Game: Sword and Shield

• Bohemian Rhapsody: Movie Review

A&E

Twenty Øne Pilots, Then to Now

Bohemian Rhapsody: Movie Review