Is Reverse Racism Real?

Is Reverse Racism Real?

America Juarez, Staff Writer

Reverse racism is a controversial topic right now. It describes the action believed to be racist towards a white person. Some might say that people can be prejudice towards white people, but not racist.

People who do believe in reverse racism think that everyone can experience racism, no matter their race. They believe that everyone deserves equality. An example of reverse racism is white people claiming that minorities get more scholarships than them. Many universities look for diversity in their schools. Because of the case, Brown v. Board of Education, that took place in 1954, the case forced public schools to determinate segregation. Therefore, there was a rise of people of color in schools. Many say that another example of reverse racism is the existence of groups such as Black Lives Matter. They believe in equality, so they must care for everyone, not just black people. This is when the term ‘All Lives Matter’ was invented. People get furious when they hear this phase because they get bothered by hearing that they’re problems are as big as anyone’s or that their fears are as big as anyone’s.

On the other side of the spectrum, there are people who don’t believe in reverse racism. People who don’t believe in it think that it’s not possible to be racist towards a white person, prejudice, yes, but not racist. Prejudice is defined as “injury or damage resulting from some judgment or action of another in disregard of one’s rights.”  The difference between racism and prejudice is that prejudice is discriminating someone. Racism is a system that is echoed through law and the government. Some laws and penal codes may even promote the system of racism.

Some white people accuse black people of reverse racism because of Black History Month. Black History Month celebrates the important people and events in the history of the African diaspora. White people wish to have a month dedicated to them, but in reality, all kids are obligated to learn white history. Black and chicano history sometimes isn’t taught to students at all.

7th grader, Emma Adams, states, “I don’t believe in reverse racism because they haven’t been through it all.  White people haven’t experience the pain that our ancestors went through”

Sophia Castiano explains “I do think you can be racist towards a white person, because let’s say, you don’t want to hang out with a person just because they’re white. That can only mean that your racist.”

This topic, reverse racism, is a very debatable topic. Some people do believe that it exists, while others think otherwise.  

America Juarez, Staff Writer

America Juarez is a 7th grade student on the SAS program here at Dana Middle School. She is a new staff member who will contribute her ideas, opinions,...

1 Comment

One Response to “Is Reverse Racism Real?”

1. N/A on November 16th, 2018 3:08 pm

BTW it’s there not they’re, just thought I tell you because you said “they are problems are as big…”

• Is Reverse Racism Real?

Opinion

Which Is Better: College Football or NFL?

• Is Reverse Racism Real?

Opinion

Is Modern History Worth Teaching?

• Is Reverse Racism Real?

Opinion

Is Dana Middle School Really Free?

• Is Reverse Racism Real?

Opinion

Lime Scooters: Are They Safe For LA?

• Is Reverse Racism Real?

Opinion

Injustice of the United States Prison System

• Is Reverse Racism Real?

Opinion

Why Are Transgender People Mistreated?

• Is Reverse Racism Real?

Opinion

Energy Drinks Made For Gamers, But Are They Safe?

• Is Reverse Racism Real?

Opinion

• Is Reverse Racism Real?

Opinion

Why Boys and Girls Should Be Raised The Same

• Is Reverse Racism Real?

Opinion

Are We Alone in the Universe?

Is Reverse Racism Real?