LAUSD Teacher’s Strike Looms in 2019

LAUSD Teacher’s Strike Looms in 2019

Vios Lopez, Staff Writer

30,000 teachers all over LA might be going on strike in January 2019. Teacher are going on strike because of their payment. Teachers are all going to be in front of the school protesting to get LAUSD’s attention and to voice their needs to the community, faculty, and students.

If teachers go on strike, many things will happen. During the strike, all the students will either have substitutes or stay in the auditorium, PE field or lunch area. This means that students will not be learning as much as long the teachers are on strike.

According to UTLA (United Teachers Los Angeles) Representative, Ms. Fosnaugh, LAUSD is being unfair because they refuse to address teacher complaints. Ms. Fosnaugh explains, “Teachers are asking for a 6.5% pay increase. [LAUSD] offered 6% with additional work hours to obtain the raise. They want to do away with class size caps. They want to increase retirement age scale.” These new policies seem unfair to not only Ms. Fosnaugh, but to many LAUSD teachers. Teachers will be wearing red shirts to show that there on strike.

The last strike that happened in LAUSD was in 1989. In fact, some teachers at Dana were in that strike such as Ms. Ito, a 6th grade math teacher. That strike lasted 9 days. Teachers say that they were unpaid, they say that it’s very hard to pay off rent and to have a family. That’s why they want a 6.5% rase.

LAUSD has reasons for not complying with teacher demands. According to district superintendent. Austin Beutner, “a few, a very few, people in the teaching profession are not helping students succeed [.] An ineffective teacher can cause students to lose more than a year of learning, which is setting students up for failure.” Jan Sobel gave a review on Austin Beutner saying “He is a great organizational leader, always keeping his mission and vision in the forefront of everything he does, hires the right people in the right jobs, motivates everyone to keep moving forward and is gracious and kind at the same time.”

Austin Beutner says that LAUSD doesn’t have the money to give rase or higher a nurse for a whole week. LAUSD assumes that it will cost $110,000 for everything that the teachers want. LAUSD says “sadly, the families and children of Los Angeles have the most to lose. A strike puts enormous pressure on working families to find child care or give up precious sick days from work. Kids lose needed learning time. And the fragile partnership among parents, teachers and students is shredded and difficult to repair.” LAUSD’s net worth is about 5 billion dollars.

Despite the pushback from Beutner, teachers will likely still strike to fight for changes they believe will make schools better for students, teachers, and the community.

Vios Lopez, Staff Writer

Vios Lopez is a 7th grade student here at Dana Middle school. Before he came to Dana, he went to Point Fermin Elementary school. Vios’ hobbies include...