Trump Tweeting on Global Warming

Trump Tweeting on Global Warming

Evan Vucci/AP/REX/Shutterstock

Evan Vucci/AP/REX/Shutterstock

Evan Vucci/AP/REX/Shutterstock

Isaac Sharp, Senior Staff Writer

On the 21st of November Donald Trump Tweeted, “Brutal and Extended Cold Blast could shatter ALL RECORDS – Whatever happened to Global Warming?” What the president is pointing out is weather, which is different from climate change or global warming. Climate change may be causing extreme heat in certain areas, but climate change doesn’t only manifest as extreme heat, it is demonstrated by many other extreme weather events.  In some ways the president might be onto something but time and again it has been proven that global warming has had huge effects on our planet already.

On November 23rd the Fourth National Climate Assessment was released by the U.S. Global Change Research Program and a coalition of multiple federal agencies including the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the Department of Energy, the Department of Health and Human Services, and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.  It stated that climate change “is transforming where and how we live and presents growing challenges to human health and quality of life, the economy, and the natural systems that support us.”  A few examples of how climate change is affecting the world is the recent wildfires in California and other states, the strength and frequency of hurricanes across the South, and the tsunamis that have struck Asian countries.

There is much more evidence pointing to climate change being very much real. NASA states, “Glaciers have shrunk, ice on rivers and lakes is breaking up earlier, plant and animal ranges have shifted and trees are flowering sooner.” NASA is showing that climate change is already acting in nature.  Another consequence of global warming is coral bleaching, which is caused by the heating of ocean water. Even a few degrees of temperature change in the ocean can cause massive damage to organisms. Climate change is heating the atmosphere and adding more gases like carbon dioxide into our oceans, which in turn affects the coral.  According to NASA, the carbon dioxide level is skyrocketing and probably won’t stop soon.

In response to the president’s tweet a teenager commented, “I am 54 years younger than you. I just finished high school with average marks. But even I can tell you that  WEATHER IS NOT CLIMATE. If you want help understanding that, I can lend you my encyclopedia from when I was in 2nd grade. It has pictures and everything.”

All of this proves, which should already be obvious, that seemingly everyone can tell that global warming is active and affecting the Earth. In summary, Donald Trump is, for reasons unknown, totally ignoring the infinite evidence proving that climate change is real, and because of him the U.S. is the only country that hasn’t signed on to the global agreement that is attempting to curb climate change.