NFL MVP: Who Will Win It?

NFL MVP: Who Will Win It?

Anthony Sereno, Staff Writer

NFL MVP: Who Will Win It?

The race for MVP the NFL year has been one of the best races in NFL history. The three main candidates are Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Donald, and Drew Brees. Each person has had an impressively good season, but who will win the award?

First, let’s start why Patrick Mahomes should win the award. Patrick Mahomes is a 23 year old sensation. The 2nd year quarterback out of Texas Tech, went off this season as he had 50 touchdown passes and 2 rushing touchdowns, so he had 52 total touchdowns in the regular season. His team, the Kansas City Chiefs, recently  got eliminated in the playoffs by the Patriots 37-31 in overtime. The reason why Mahomes should win MVP is because not only his stats, his unique way of playing the sport of football. Patrick Mahomes has done multiple things from a complete sidearm throw, to a no look pass, a left handed pass even though he is right handed, and rolling out and throwing a perfect ball to Tyreek Hill 40 yards down the field across his body. He has been surprising the football world left and right all year long.

Now, let’s talk about why the raining defensive player of the year, Aaron Donald should win. Aaron Donald broke the single season sack record playing the Cardinals, in Arizona after he got his second sack of the game. Aaron Donald finished the regular season with 20.5 sacks. A half of a sack is when you tackle the quarterback with one of your teammates helping you bring the quarterback down. Not only did the defensive tackle get 20.5 sacks in a single season, he didn’t even get a sack till his 4th game of the season. Aaron Donald should also win the award because he has some of the best technique anyone has ever seen. According to SB Nation’s Stephen White, ex defensive end in the NFL, states that,”I first became acquainted with Aaron Donald’s ridiculous wealth of talent five years ago working on his draft breakdown. Even though I had some issues with his effort, something that I tend to be a stickler about, the things this kid could do on the field simply blew me away.” Then, after that, he states,” Not only was he a freak athlete, but he also had the kind of elite technique that you rarely see from college players. He was dominant no matter where they lined him up on the defensive line, in spite of the fact that at 6’1 and 285 pounds with arms less than 33 inches long, most folks would agree that he was undersized.”

Last but not least, let’s talk about the QB veteran, Drew Brees. Drew Brees can go down as one of the best quarterbacks of all time. After a loss to Aaron Donald’s team, the Los Angeles Rams in the NFC Championship 26-23, the New Orleans Saints season came to an end. After the season ending loss, Drew Brees finished his 18th season in the NFL, After getting drafted in 2001, he was with the San Diego Chargers for his first 5 years of his career. After injuring his shoulder, he got a second chance with the New Orleans Saints, and he made sure the Saints organization didn’t regret it. Since joining the Saints, he has led the NFL in passing touchdown, passing yards, and 300-yard games. He also was Brees holds the NFL records for career pass completions, career completion percentage, career passing yards, is second in career touchdown passes, third in regular season career passer rating, and fourth in postseason career passer rating. He has passed for over 5,000 yards for five seasons, no other quarterback has ever done it more than once. In 2004, he was the NFL Comeback Player of the Year, in 2008 and 2011, he was NFL Offensive Player of the Year. With all of that, he took the Saints to their first ever Super Bowl, against the Indianapolis Colts, and came out on top 31-17, and was the Super Bowl MVP. This year, he passed Peyton Mannings, record for most career passing yards when he was playing Monday Night Football against the Washington Redskins on a 64-yard touchdown pass to WR Tre’Quan Smith.

This year’s MVP race has been crazy. But who will come out on top? Will it be the 2nd year QB Patrick Mahomes? Will it be the raining Defensive Player of the Year Aaron Donald? Or will it be one of the best quarterbacks in history Drew Brees. The NFL award ceremony is on Saturday, February 2nd. Don’t forget to watch it to find out!

Anthony Sereno, Staff Writer

Anthony Sereno is a 7th grade STEAM student at Dana Middle School. He is new to The Dana Mariner and can't wait to start writing articles. Anthony lives...