WASC Coming To Dana

WASC Coming To Dana

Sydney Delgado, Staff Writer

The Western Association of Schools and Colleges is a private, nonprofit accreditation agency that has set a process that requires schools to demonstrate commitment, capacity, and ability of all schools to connect to support student learning and ongoing school improvements.

WASC advances and validates quality for ongoing schools improvement by supporting private and public school’s member’s institutions to participate in a self-evaluation and peer review process that is focused on student’s education.

The way this process of accreditation works is for school administrators, teachers, staff, parents, students, community members, and others to be involved in preparation for this self-study process that can be accomplished over a period of 18 months.

What is accreditation? Accreditation is the process of evaluation which checks that schools show self-improvement of the school’s programs and deserve the trust given to provide high quality learning. A stamp of approval indicates the quality of the education they are providing in schools, as well as their capacity to improve.

WASC will be the new standard for all middle schools since enrollment has decreased and the competition for charter schools increased. The program will also be the new standard for all middle schools to demonstrate quality of the school’s programs and community. Recently, five L.A. Unified middle schools have started receiving accreditation from WASC. Two of those schools receiving accreditation being Dodson and Steven White.

With that being said, the primary goals of accreditation for schools are; the improvement of the school’s programs to support student learning and approval to the public that the school is a trustworthy place of learning. Our mission here at Dana Middle School for accrediting is to provide an engaging environment that will support all students at our school to be college and career ready. Dana Mariners have Dana Pride.

Sydney Delgado, Staff Writer

Sydney Delgado is currently a 7th grader here at Dana Middle School. She currently knows bits and pieces of a lot of languages, such as Spanish, Korean,...