Wicked: A Musical To Defy Gravity

Wicked: A Musical To Defy Gravity

Hera Serna, Staff Writer

Broadway musicals have always been an amazing way to entertain and capture the audience. Although they tend to last for a long time, the story is always heartwarming. Whether the musical is a throwback to the 2000s or has an educational side to it, the musical theatre industry has a reputation to amaze their audience.

For those who don’t know, a musical is a performance that combines songs, acting and dance. The story and emotional content of a musical is told through the words, music, and movement of the performance in a way that moves it’s audience. Although musical theatre includes other performances like opera and dance the performances are different because of how they think a certain element is more important than the others.

Musicals have told countless stories through the ages. For example Chicago, Chicago is a musical, performed in 1975, about the female criminals and the murderous crimes Maurine Dallas had reported on. The musical Chicago told a story about a woman being accused of murder and the corruption of justice.

Chicago is an old musical, yet it’s popularity doesn’t rain that far. An example of a new but popular musical is Hamilton. Hamilton is about Alexander Hamilton, and how he lived his life until the day he died. Hamilton was released in 2017 so the musical is fairly new but it’s popularity is amazingly large. A musical that has both some age and popularity is Wicked. Wicked was released in 2003 and it’s popularity is just as large as Hamilton’s.

Wicked tells the story of Elphaba, a teenager who unwillingly became the wicked witch of the west. Elphaba attends Shiz University with her sister Nessarose in order to keep an eye on her. But her stay is interrupted when she unexpectedly uses her magical powers that lead to “A Series of Unfortunate Events”. The dean of Shiz University watches Elphaba use her magic and decides to privately tutor her in sorcery. This decision causes Elphaba’s classmate, Galinda to grow jealous of Elphaba but oddly enough the two become roommates while they are at Shiz University. The rivalry between the two girls grows with every day until Elphaba decided to talk to the dean about taking private lessons with Galinda as well. When Galinda hears the news she decides to make Elphaba her new “project” to make her popular. The two grow closer as each day passes until sparks fly between Elphaba and Galinda’s love interest Fiyero. Later the dean tells Elphaba that Oz The Great And Powerful has announced that he requested they meet in The Emerald City and Elphaba brings her friend with her to make her dreams come true. This of course brings the two friends closer than ever, as they explore the wondrous sights in The Emerald City. But when the time comes for Elphaba and Galinda to meet the wizard the two learn a grave secret they wished they had never known. Galinda and Elphaba are forced to turn on each other but what really tears them apart is when Fiyero is forced to choose between the “good” thing or what his heart tells him. In the end the two friends are brought together for one last meeting before Elphaba leaves Oz for good.

Wicked is an amazing musical, the whole show is like an emotional rollercoaster leaving you crying from losing a good character or giddy from hearing the best riff being sang.Wicked really connects with saying “People fear what they don’t understand and hate what they cant control” the people of Oz fear Elphaba because they don’t understand her powers and they hate her because they have no way of controlling her. Wicked is a musical I strongly recommend to those who enjoy both music as well as a good story to leave you thinking about your life decisions.

Hera Serna, Staff Writer

Hera Serna is 6th grade student who attends Dana Middle School in the STEAM Magnet program. This year, Hera wants to focus on her grades in school so she...