Nike’s New Self Lacing Basketball Shoe

Nike’s New Self Lacing Basketball Shoe

Tanner Wymore, Staff Writer

Self lacing shoes are a concept that has been around for a long time, only coming into existence in the past 3 years. In 2016 we had the self Nike Air Mag, that resold into the thousands, and had only 84 pairs in existence. In late 2016, we had the Nike Hyperadapt 1.0, reselling for around 900 dollars, and now in 2019, the Hyperadapt BB (Basketball) is releasing, and this time you may have a chance at getting a pair.

Okay, $350 doesn’t sound affordable, but like 7th grader William Sanchez stated, when asked about the price point, “I think $350 is a good price point compared to $1000.” The price has significantly dropped but, even if self lacing sneakers become more affordable, some people don’t agree that the style will be commonplace.

7th grader Kaz Amano says, “No, I don’t think so because there are already shoes like vans slip ons and people probably want to keep it simple.”

The sneaker is a performance basketball and has the laces underneath the mesh material upper that will tighten to your foot, without getting too tight, for a comfortable fit. The mesh material on the shoe remembers the shape on your foot, so you won’t have to adjust the shoe as much every time you wear it.

The sneakers will have to be charged, but a single charge apparently can last from around 10 to 14 days. Don’t worry, your feet aren’t trapped in the sneaker, in an interview with Senior Director of Smart Systems of Engineering, Jordan Rice with the Verge, Rice stated the shoes will reliably save enough battery to loosen from your foot.

Aside from the workings inside the shoe, the shoe also has an app for itself, that lets you adjust the tightness of the shoes, the color of the lights on the side of the shoe, and other options for you to adjust the shoe for yourself.

The previous version of this shoe, the Hyperadapt 1.0, was more of a test shoe, as it was a fully functioning sneaker, it really wasn’t prepared for sports, and was basically just a $1000 walking sneaker. The sneaker didn’t have much to show other than the gimmick.

This sneaker has made its feet on many of nikes athletes in the NBA along with LA’s very own Kyle Kuzma from the Lakers to advertise the shoe before it’s release. Kuz has stated in an interview that the shoe feels almost exactly like a Kobe sneaker and performs well as a basketball sneaker.

If you want to get a pair of these kicks the first release will be at All Star Weekend in Charlotte North Carolina, for a limited drop on February 14th, then on February 17th, the shoe will be on Nike’s website for purchase, and on February the19th, the shoes will be available worldwide.

The shoe may be a big release, and although the shoes tested the markets waters previously, this is an idea to sit on. If in the next couple years, the “average Joe” is playing basketball in his Hyperadapt 4.0s, or going on a run in them, the sneaker is nothing more than an idea you can wear. Although, the shoe does show great promise for the future of sneaker and technology innovation.